good set of flies? (think this belongs here sorry guys)

J

jradan3

i posted this in the fly tying forum and realized that it is better off in this one. sorry about the mix up guys

looking to get a good set of flies but now i am thinking of just buying them idivudually using hatching charts as a reference. what do you guys suggest? does anyone here sell their flies. i will be fishing central and western PA. i just recently started tying some of my own but dont have the time to get a good collection started before the spring. Point me in the right direction...thanks guys...

http://www.flydealflies.com

good quality? thanks bruno. i see your post throughout the forums and respect your knowledge. take care man and again thanks for the reference

They are cheap and they work .

Flyfishersparadise in State College sells nice package sets of flies designed for central PA. You can get the central PA variety pack or a pack for each hatch (like BWO pack, sulphur pack, etc.). Most of this will fit for western PA too, though BWO's and trico's are largely a limestone thing. They do a fine mail order business, stuff comes quickly and they're helpful over the phone.

You can order the catalog here:

http://www.flyfishersparadise.com/catalog.php

Or you can just call and tell them what you're looking for, they'll help you out or even make up a custom pack. They will run you more $ than Bruno's link, but they are higher quality than any I've bought elsewhere. Cheap flies work just fine, they just tend to fall apart after a fish or two. You can also extend the useful life of flies by pinching down the barbs with pliers, it makes them come out of a fish's mouth easier and it thus doesn't tear them up as much.

I also support FFP, and agree that their flies are top notch.

I have gone there and bought a single fly of a pattern and asked them how to tie it, so that I never need to buy it again. They told me exactly how. They did manage to suggest a few variations to upsell materials to me, but I enjoy trying new things, so didn't mind it at all.

Bruno wrote:
http://www.flydealflies.com

Did you see this Bruno??

Refer a new customer to our site. If he/she places an order, we will credit you with a free dozen flies. We will also include a free dozen flies in the order of the person who you referred.

. To the recipient; simply mention upon checkout of your order in the 'Comments' section that you were referred to us and by whom (or their Order#). We will ensure that you both enjoy some free bugs for helping us to continue offering quality flies to our fellow fishermen.

. Shops often place 100 dozen and larger orders. If you refer a shop, we will make sure you personally "are taken care of". Referrals may help you accumulate a personal wealth of flies. These flies will sell themselves.

. Add the credit to your next order, or, when you reach a credit of 5 dozen or more, submit your request for your free flies.

. Once again, thank you for your past referrals.

Her is another good place for affordable flies and their here in PA.

http://www.theflystop.com/

Internet only. :-( I got my flies here before I started tying.

ummmmm I sell only top quality flies, tied right here. if you want good flies take a look at my site.

I've used flydealflies and flystop for quite a long time. I've never been disappointed in the quality, the service can't be beat and there's been several times when they threw in a extra half dozen flies with my order. Over the last 2 years, I've saved enough money to purchase a new Orvis rod and reel.

In these troubling times, every penny counts.

Greg turned me on to flystop. Nice guy, local and he generally ships the order the day you make it and it arrives one or two days later. I have also purchaesd from Craig Matlock at www.flydealer.com , but I have shifted to flystop because of the reasons mentioned and the price.

I usually buy from flyshops on an as needed basis when I am unprepared for a hatch I encounter and run out of or do not have the matching flies. I respect the price they charge and recognize they have overhead that the basement tier does not, so though I will whine about the cost, I still appreciate the convenience and service of the local shops. One advantage of local shops is they often have developed pattern and coloration that exactly matches the local bugs. On occasion, having the local tie might be the difference between a refusal and a take.

I know FFP ties their flies in house. But the truth of the matter is that most shops that charge $1.80-$2.00 per fly are getting their flies from the same wholesalers that flystop, etc. gets theirs. Honestly, since I lost 3 fingers and had to give up tying, I spend far less cash on flies then I did when I was tying.

1 thing people fail to realize is , if a fly shop owner is ontop of his game as our local shop is , he ties some flies a little different , we all know that bugs can be different colors in different parts of the state , comparaduns work better on some water than catskills do and vise versa , a fly shop owner that fishes his home water a great deal will know this and tie these one that seem to work beter and sell them. just my .02$

Sandfly- I'd love to check out your shop/website but it's password protected. Why is that?

Last fall, I bought a bunch of flies from these guys to. Nice flies @ $.40 each. One of my contractors has been buying materials here as well and says the prices can't be beat. I think he told me 2 weeks ago that he was buying hooks from this Troutsmen for something like $4.50 per 100.

http://www.troutsmen.com

I would highly recommend if your a new orvis.com customer to buy their special "first time buyers only package"
http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=76Tk

once you create your account and use your address you won't be able to get it for that deal again, but 10 bucks free shipping its without a doubt one of the best starter sets I've seen, and I have even used it myself, and had my dad order one for himself. I don't have many of that kit left, but they all worked darn good!

Thanks for that GEMiller. That's a great deal whether you are a beginner of not. I'm going to put an order in sometime today.

I have a couple myself cochy. Can't beat it for $.50 a fly

fishandsave.com
if you know what you want good prices

Steves Comparaduns are unbeatable, I have caught so many trout on a fly that the finish was worn of the point of the hook back to the barb

Back