Good patterns for large trout

C

crs5942

What are some good patterns/recipes for large trout (20+")? I was fishing the other day and almost caught an 18+" trout on a 6" chub that I had already hooked, and I got to thinking that maybe I need some extra large streamers/patterns rather than my size 10 wooly buggers. Any suggestions? Thanks.

One of my good fishing buddies uses articulated streams with 3 hooks for super large fish on places like Spring and Penns. He uses them with very good success, hooking atleast 4 trophy fish every trip. This theory just eliminates smaller fish from hitting your fly (smaller fish feed more regularly than the larger fish).

Keep in mind that large fish are often caught very tiny flies too.

So for patterns, I'd use articulated buggers, and rabbit strip flies. My friend uses mostly white zonker strips with white deer hair as a head. He has used other colors, but white is his most productive.

Clousers and big buggers if you want to imitate bait and trash fish. Biggest trout from a creek I ever caught (not counting steelhead) was a 24 inch rainbow on a size 24 black midge.

Big foxee clouser minnows, big double bunnies, and giant black leech patterns get the big boys for me.

Small streamers seem to get me smaller trout, so bigger is better.

Bill

I have a buddie that has bought into Kelly Galloup's methods.

He is a western dude but from what my friend says his tactics should work here. Yellow seems to be a big color in the arsenal.

ps: Half the guys on that forum are from PA.
(but that maybe the case on any fly fish forum)

I've caught more 20+" trout (11 that I can count off the top of my head) on a #10 Olive/Tan mixed Shenks Minnow than anything else I've ever used. I've tied it in size 6 thinking it would be even more effective on large trout only to find out I was wrong. However the size 6 was pretty deadly for smallmouths though.

Here's a video from you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWq95R0vv24

I know a number of guys who swear by the big (5" to 10") Kelly Galloup style streamers for big fish. Mr. Galloup's big fish tactics are just as important as the flies. Think night fishing for better chances at trophy fish. Notice shallows that are especially filled with minnows during the day? Now you know where to go at night. The big fish also hunt the riffles when the water starts to muddy.

Rabbit strip flies, spun deer head flies, and articulated flies seem to be staples for the big fish crowd. Sculpins are a good bet too.

I also like 1" to 2" crayfish patterns. Pattern doesn't seem to be all that important, but big browns do love crayfish.

In a lot of streams scuds can be a big source of protein and the bigger fish are on them.

Other big brown tactics are fishing sucker spawn patterns behind spawning suckers (coming up real soon - watch those suckers!) and staying out later for the Hendrickson spinner fall. Unlike for Coffin Flies, not many people fish big spinners early in the season Unfortunately, not every year has the right conditions right for dry fly action early.

The last guide I had said, " would you hunt bears with a .22 ? "

I am a big fan of Kelly's Zoo Cougar. Dave from Greensburg tied that for the swap last year.

To catch big trout consistantly you really do need to fish for them. That basically means hunting them with big streamers. By big I mean 4 inches long and longer. Some of my streamers are over 7 inches. IMHO, the manner in which the streamer is fished as well as were and when is far more important than the specific pattern. Having said that, many very goog patterns were already mentioned: big buggers, Zoo Cougars, bunny flies, etc.

For the past few years I have been using a lot of Kelly Galloup's Zoo Cougars on a sinking line. Big browns are predators and to an extent, teritorial. One thing that I like about what Kelly teaches is that big browns very often do not hide in the kind of structure that you would ordinarily think. More and more we are finding big browns, over twenty inches, away from the traditional structure and in a few feet of water near drop offs and ledges.

To hear Kelly talk about his tactics go here, http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/speakers/kelly/kelly.cfm . It is well worth the time to listen to this if you want to start hunting big browns. This stuff really does work.

One final thought though. Of all the fly fishing techniques, chucking big streamers is the most intrusive way to fish. These techniques may not be the way to go on a crowded stream. Not only do you cover a lot of water, you will also put all the fish down for a while. If the stream is crowded, find the fastest, heaviest water there is and work those big streamers as deep as you can through it. Oh yeah, fish short, heavy leaders, 1x.

The recent Pa Angler had a good article on large flies for large fish. I checked you can't read it online.

I've had 18"-20" browns come out and swipe at 6" juvie trout I hooked fishing small dries.

Along with clouser eyes tied on the front of a bugger with palmered schlappin, I really like fishing BIG deceivers in par trout colors.

One March, a number of years ago, I had just started to fish for that eve and had a 5" olive over grey with grey saddle deceiver just hanging in the current, in the process of getting out a cigarette, didn't even make a cast. I heard an explosion akin to a bowling ball dropped in the water and the next thing I know line is peeling off the reel.

It was a solid 24" brown with one nasty kipe.

Fishing big flies, for big browns, never let your gaurd down... You never know!!!

:D

P.s. Oh yeah, forgot to mention, BIG browns cruise the shallows at night.

Back