Good News

littlejuniata

littlejuniata

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/newsreleases/2007/out_clearwater_mccoy.htm

Have to agree with your assessment, lj.

What impact do you think the removal will have on Bald Eagle?

Far out! :cool:

I suppose that is good news, but that dam and the old one that was previously removed at West Penn provided some of the best evenings of fishing I ever enjoyed. My brother-in-law, who was driven out of fly-fishing by the neoprene hatches drawn to Spring Creek by the kiss-and-tell fishermen, put me in places where it was a disappointment if I did not land at least one 17" or larger brown in an evening. At McCoy's one evening, I landed consecutive fish of 16, 18, 19, and 20 inches--withoug moving! That was, of course, "back in the day" when the dam was not being fished by a line of fishermen. So, if I feel a little badly about its removal, forgive me for waxing nostalgic. When I was young and learning about hatch matching, the water backed up by both dams was special to me and to only a few others.

Good news indeed. I firmly believe Dr. Austen is doing a fine job leading the PFBC into a new age of cold-water fisheries management. The more I read, the more I really like this guy. Certainly, it'll still take a lot of time for a turnaround, but he's on the right track! He "gets it."

schrec
rising fish always

You brought back old memories Rich, I used to have a ball fishing that area with a minnow and my trusty Shakespeare flyrod, monofiliment line and South Ben automatic reel. Under that last bridge on Spring Creek was good too, by that center pillar. Took a 20 inch Brown there, had a string of cars on the bridge watching, the fish was just hooked in the flesh of his mouth he would have not been landed with a spinning rod.

like rrt, I've got mixed feelings about this. I have had some very good fishing at the top end of the impoundment by the kwik-fill, and also below the dam.
I also used to fish the channel going into the power dam with a lot of success. Since they removed that dam, it's just one long riffle now, and hasn't been nearly as productive as before.
I also wonder what effect all that sediment built up behind McCoy dam is goingto have downstream. and if muskies will now swim up into spring creek from Bald eagle. I guess we'll know soon

I would watch this one develop closely...
I think the quote "Likewise, recreational paddling will be greatly enhanced by the dam’s removal.”
is a telling statement - I beleive the PFBC is after this huge market section. It is still the right thing to do.

To me it's great news, I've never fished that area but have looked at it on my way to Milesburg many times, It's not a pretty site.

Looks like some of you Gentlemen have had some good fishing in that area and some great memorys.

I think it's the best thing for the stream!

PaulG

Back