Good News for WB Susky

Maurice

Maurice

Administrator
Staff member
An email I got from the Forest Coallition with some interesting potential results. Could bring back on line a tremendous new addition to the great fisheries of PA

Atricle below, note the info at the bottom to subscribe....I only get one or two every two weeks so its not spam.

New Mine Drainage Treatment Plant Will Improve 35-Plus Miles of the West Branch Susquehanna River

Edited for length

Barr Township, Cambria County – Construction has begun on a mine drainage treatment facility that will restore aquatic life to the upper reaches of one of America’s most polluted rivers.

The Lancashire #15 treatment plant will improve water quality in at least 35 miles of the West Branch Susquehanna River.

The new mine drainage treatment plant will treat up to 10 million gallons per day of acidic water from the abandoned 7,100 acre Lancashire #15 mine complex. In 1969, the mine blew out and caused a fish kill for more than 40 miles of the West Branch of the Susquehanna.

The influx of fresh water into the West Branch will counteract the effects of numerous acidic discharges in the headwaters, restoring aquatic habitat to an estimated 35 miles of the river and improving water quality as far downstream as the Curwensville Lake in Clearfield County.

The facility will go online by the fall of 2011. It will pump water from the mine, treat it with hydrated lime to remove metals, and raise the water’s alkalinity before it is discharged into the river.

The plant’s construction will be financed by Pennsylvania’s Acid Mine Drainage Trust Fund, created with funds set aside from the federal Abandoned Mine Lands Fund. The federal fund is supported by a tax on the modern coal industry and is distributed to states as annual grants to reclaim mine sites that were abandoned prior to passage of the federal Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act of 1977.

The Susquehanna River Basin Commission has placed a $3.9 million appropriation from the legislature in trust to fund partially the perpetual operation and maintenance of the plant. The commission has set aside another $2.1 million for the operation and maintenance of a planned treatment plant in the headwaters of the Clearfield Creek, which is also severely degraded by mine drainage and negatively affects water quality where it joins the West Branch downstream of Clearfield.

Through a combination of federal funds and grants from Pennsylvania’s Growing Greener program, DEP and local watershed groups have spent $85 million on 280 mine drainage projects, and have restored aquatic life to formerly dead streams, such as Babb Creek in Lycoming and Tioga counties, Toby Creek in Clearfield and Jefferson counties, and the Stoneycreek River in Cambria and Somerset counties.

For the unedited original article:

www.depweb.state.pa.us keyword: Abandoned Mines.

Dick Martin - Coordinator www.PaForestCoalition.org
The Pennsylvania Forest Coalition is a unique alliance of hunters, hikers, anglers, landowners, wildlife-watchers, paddlers, bikers, churches and conservation groups who are united in our concern for the stewardship of our public lands. Caring for what God has created

Please mention your affiliation(s)
(Hunter, Angler, Hiker, Watershed, Birdwatcher, etc)

These messages are brought to you as a public service; in compliance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed free and without profit or payment for educational purposes only.

That is good news. I know that it is said trout are present already certain times of the year in the upper West Branch. Maybe it will hold a few more trout near creek mouths.

I lived near where the North Branch Susky enters Pennsylvania, and you could catch browns and rainbows in the river, but only in key areas.

The north branch of the susky starts out in Cambia Co. near the town of Carroltown it's a good trout stream for miles till the AMD gets it , this is good news for all.

Maurice,
This is a great post - thanks for the heads up.

The West Branch Susky has great potential and has been a quiet success story in its lower reaches below Williamsport in the last decade or two. The bass and muskie fishery there now rivals or exceeds the best sections of the Juniata in the opinion of many and is much better than the fishing in the main stem of the Susky downstream from WB's mouth. I can remember when the entire length of the WB was considered a lost cause. With patience, viable solutions, and - of course - adequate funding, streams and rivers can come back from the dead. Should good fishing gradually creep upriver in the future years, this could in turn prove a significant economic boon to a beautiful area that could use some tourist dollars. I'm not sure a lime dosing type mitigation program has ever been attempted in PA on a waterway of this size and length and with so many tribs - so recovery may take longer, but I'm optimistic. Kudos to the good folks in Mo's links who have driven this plan and goal.

Maurice

I remember when they started all that work on Babbs Creek, a few years back. That stream was DEAD and they did wonders with that stream. I do know they had very good success with Babbs. Has anyone fished it lately?

PaulG

I would think Old Lefty should have something on that.

When I said North branch I meant main branch which flows south from Cooperstown NY, and travels south and dips down into Pa in Susquehanna County for a length of about twenty miles before flowing back north and reentering Ny state and flowing through Binghamton, NY and eventually winding it's way back into PA.

I read an article PA Angler this year on the West Branch. It was interesting

Jake......that's the east branch you're talkin bout , joins the west branch above Sunbury/Selinsgrove rts 11 n 15 north , the west branch flows north a long way and stays within the Pa border.

Back