Good news for the Salmon River, NY

geebee

geebee

Good news for the Salmon River anglers amongst us last night.

NY State purchased 45,000 acres of private land along the Salmon river and turned it over to the DEC for public access

PA could do more of that

geebee wrote:
Good news for the Salmon River anglers amongst us last night.

NY State purchased 45,000 acres of private land along the Salmon river and turned it over to the DEC for public access

PA could do more of that

Nice! The tide has turned. The Salmon River has been slowly but surely turning to private water over the last decades. Below is a pic of the acquisition by NYS in yellow. All prime fishing areas. Good stuff.

Attachments

• Salmon River access.jpg
    Salmon River access.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 6

That'll be nice for you guys that fish it.

Basically outside of the DSR, the hatchery, and a few select places in Pulaski, all the water is open to fishing already as long as you do not cross over Private Property and stay on the stream banks. There are plenty of access areas. This is nice to hear however. That is a nice large tract of land.

I sure hope the fishing improves now. The steelhead run has been way down the last 2-3 seasons.

Great to hear! Forward thinking by NYS. The more public access to the river, the more fisherman = better for the Pulaski economy and happy fisherman = preservation of the resource. Way to go! Cheers

Great news. Too bad the fishery seems to be going downhil. Although I can personally say the spring brown trout fishing in the lake was great. So maybe things will turn around who knows?

thats cool but I dont see the 45,000 ac...I see the 6,000 ac in the map and article below...do you have a link to the 45k?

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2017/05/gov_cuomo_announces_acquisition_of_6000_prime_acres_along_near_salmon_river.html

Back