Good March patterns for Muddy Creek??

ratherbfishing

ratherbfishing

Hello All,
I just moved to York county late last summer, so this will be my first full season fishing in the area. I figure I will probably be fishing Muddy Creek a lot, and was wondering if you guys could recommend some good patterns for March and early April. I tie my own flies, but I am not a master, so easier patterns would save me some frustration. Thanks to anyone willing to share!

Rather

I have seen some good hatches of Blk stones on muddy, streamers have worked well!

Maurice, is the guy that can help you out with more info!

PaulG

Thanks Paul! Black Stones... I have a couple of stone patterns I like to tie, any size suggestions? I have a large variety of streamers in different colors in my box, easy to tie!! :)

muddy creek got its name because it gets real muddy after even a slight rain. nearly 14 miles of it is stocked while the Delayed harvest section is 2 miles long from 300 yards above the SR2032 bridge in bridgeton to 300 yards from bruce. all branches north and south are also stocked. it is a great early season water but warms in july. late april -may green caddis #14 , may gray foxs #14 , may sulphurs #16 , may march browns #12 , last week in may -june tan caddis #16 , may BWO #14 , july-aug tricos #24 , terrestrials in later summer months. because of the lack of insect on this stream , terrestrials are real important!

hope this helps

Thanks Trout, good advice! I have alot of those patterns already, although I will need to tie some more and in different sizes. I am thinking of going out there this Saturday, since the weather is supposed to be nice. Anything in particular you guys think I should take??

ratherbfishing wrote:
Thanks Trout, good advice! I have alot of those patterns already, although I will need to tie some more and in different sizes. I am thinking of going out there this Saturday, since the weather is supposed to be nice. Anything in particular you guys think I should take??

Take a snow shovel.

Whats been said is good, with the exception of a part of the Text from Troutslammer, (seems he copied that from a publication printed over ten years ago). The Delayed Harvest section he speaks of is now C&R. Probably about 9 miles of water between all branches and main stem of stocked water.

Maybe we run into each other sometime.

Oh I forgot, the little Black Stoneflys....#14 hook, black dubbing, down wing of z-lon or dun hackle tips, Dun or black hackle. a sparce black henryville special looking fly.

Oh and the only open water until opening day is the C&R section. Opening Day is April 3rd.

Back