Good hook for tying soft hackles/wets?

Redfin

Redfin

I just started tying some soft hackles for the first time. And want to tie some traditional wets as well. It was a little tricky getting used to wrapping them small feathers on the soft hackles.

I have not been around this type of fishing before or tied them. I did about 20 soft hackles this weekend on tiemco 2457 scud hooks. I'm sure that's not really what I want. (Heavy scud hook.)
I don't want a bunch of differand models for all the more I will be tying rite now. Mostly soft hackles.

What's a good hook that is proper for soft hackles and wet flies?
What about sizes? #12 about average size for these?

I tie soft hackles in 12,14,16 usually more towards 14 and 16. Any old straight shank wet/nymph hook will work . Dont over think these they are usually simple patterns. What specific soft hackle patterns are you tying as it may help give a more specific answer? I think I am beginning to be a hook hoarder I have lots of brands and models around.

I tie soft hackles in 14 - 20. I pretty much stick to a Mustad R50 hook.

Just basics,
Peacock, pheasant tail, hares ear, partridge n green, n orange,
Pass lake. Still working on more of a list.

Still want to try some Traditional wets. But I don't know if they fish any better than the soft hackles compared to time put into the tie? You guys may know better than me as I have not fished either.

I been using partridge in natural, brown, olive. I bought the cheapo bags. You have to pick through em.

Ok so standard or 2xl wet nymph hooks is what I use for what you are tying. I am sorry you are using the bags of feathers. They make a mess and drive me nuts. I have a few #2 skins partridge brown and a ginger/yellow that I picked up on clearance that I have been using. I just picked up some Brahma hen capes to see how they work as a soft hackle collar. If they are tougher and easier to work with I can see the partridge getting used much less. Bonus the brahma hen capes are smaller and less expensive than a partridge skin. Either one feel like a long term supply of hackle.

I tie most of my soft hackles and wet flies on Daiichi 1550 hooks. They are decent hooks.

I use both the 2457s and standard dry fly hooks. If they are taking below the surface a bit then the heavier scud hooks seem to work well. If they are feeding in the film then the lighter dry fly hooks are effective.

To follow up on sizes for me it is currently 14s down to 20s. And I agree with the skins rather than loose feathers.

+1 on not using the bagged partridge feathers.

They can be hard to find at times, especially if you want to pick it out in person, but get yourself a skin.

A decent substitute is a hen pheasant skin. I just picked one of those up and seems to have a decent selection of feathers for the collars.

I tie sizes 12-18, generally on 2xl nymph hooks. I wouldn't toss the ones you tied on a scud hook. Look up Anderson's Bird of Prey... its a caddis imitation, but tied with a hackle collar similar to a standard soft hackle.

Yes you guys are right. them bags a rough. N make a mess! If I like using and tying these I will spend the money on better stuff.
Thank you so much for the help guys! Your great!

You probably want to have two types of hooks. a standard dry fly hook for flies that are fished in the film, and a heavier wire wet/nymph hook for flies that you want to sink a bit. Use what ever brand you prefer.

You probably want to have two types of hooks. a standard dry fly hook for flies that are fished in the film, and a heavier wire wet/nymph hook for flies that you want to sink a bit. Use what ever brand you prefer.

Mostly for me I use good old Mustad's I like the 3906. They are a heavy wire hook. They also hold fish really well.

GenCon

Back