Good Driving Music - Ben Nichols/ Lucero

PocketWater

PocketWater

Not sure if this is appropriate for this particular forum or if it should be in Off Topic, but one aspect I like about driving to the various streams and rivers I fish, is the road music. One band/ artist I started listening to the last couple years is the band Lucero, and also own the solo album from their lead singer and guitarist Ben Nichols. If you have never heard of them, maybe give them a listen on your next road trip.

Here is a video of Ben Nichols doing a few solo accoustic songs at a college music festival.

What are your favorite bands to listen to while on your way to your favorite stream?

Greensky is a good time wjkosmer. Trampled By Turtles have a nice bluegrass vibe to them as well.

On the Road Again

Great cover of the Willy Nelson song by First Aid Kit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODj26W9OTMg

@Pocketwater You bet, TBT is another good one for sure!

If you like outlaw country (not that pop stuff), this guy is a throwback to some heavy hitters

Life Ain't Fair

Stal42. I'm a big Sturgill fan. Have seen him live a few times and he put on a great show. Old Crow Medicine Show opened for him this past time I saw him. Saw Lucero live a few weeks ago. They are a rare band I would say they are better live then on CD.

Kinda late to this one, but I LOVE Lucero so much. I can listen to every album from beginning to end over and over. The

Ive seen them a ton of times over the past decade. I had the pleasure of finally meeting Ben this past summer at Club Cafe when he was doing the "Bikeriders Tour". Genuine and down to Earth dude.

The last concert they played at Mr Small's last month was my favorite so far. They did an acoustic-ish set of older/less popular songs as an opener for themselves, then they played an electric set.

Another of my favorite artists is Chuck Ragan. He's the lead singer of Hot Water Music, a hell of an artist, and all around good dude. Hes also a fly fisherman - http://www.filson.com/filson-life/fly-fishing-chuck-ragan/

Lucero is a hell of a band, and puts on a great show. Although I prefer their older stuff. Old 97s have some good stuff too.

steveo27 wrote:
Kinda late to this one, but I LOVE Lucero so much. I can listen to every album from beginning to end over and over. The

Ive seen them a ton of times over the past decade. I had the pleasure of finally meeting Ben this past summer at Club Cafe when he was doing the "Bikeriders Tour". Genuine and down to Earth dude.

The last concert they played at Mr Small's last month was my favorite so far. They did an acoustic-ish set of older/less popular songs as an opener for themselves, then they played an electric set.

Another of my favorite artists is Chuck Ragan. He's the lead singer of Hot Water Music, a hell of an artist, and all around good dude. Hes also a fly fisherman - http://www.filson.com/filson-life/fly-fishing-chuck-ragan/

Steveo,
Right now I want to try and see Ryan Bingham at Mr. Smalls on January 30th, Jason Isbell at the Benedum Center on March 2nd, and potentially the Avett Brothers at Stage AE on May 12th, but their tickets are a bit pricey for that show so I'm not sure.

There is also a pretty solid band, The Gaslight Anthem, playing the Altar Bar on, I think, January 12th.

Lots of good music coming around this coming year.

I was at that Lucero Mr. Smalls show as well a month or two ago. That was great how they basically opened for themselves.

PocketWater wrote:

Steveo,
Right now I want to try and see Ryan Bingham at Mr. Smalls on January 30th, Jason Isbell at the Benedum Center on March 2nd, and potentially the Avett Brothers at Stage AE on May 12th, but their tickets are a bit pricey for that show so I'm not sure.

There is also a pretty solid band, The Gaslight Anthem, playing the Altar Bar on, I think, January 12th.

I was at that Lucero Mr. Smalls show as well a month or two ago. That was great how they basically opened for themselves.

Awesome. Those are all on my list if the old lady allows.

Seems like we have pretty similar taste in music.

This past year was a great year for music in PGH - I saw Ben Nichols, Dave Hause, Rocky Votolato, Against Me!, Tim Barry, Gaslight Anthem, Cory Branna,Rise Against, Social D, Drag the River, Foo Fighters, Lucero, The Menzingers, and Im sure Im forgetting a few others this year so far.

I really dig The Gaslight Anthem. I saw them when they played with Against Me! a few years back and last Summer when they played with Cory Brannan. Im super excited to see Brian Fallon do his solo stuff/This Charming Man stuff/Horrible Crows stuff. Im also pumped to see Cory Brannan again.

Chuck Ragan is coming back to Pittsburgh in February again. Looking forward to seein him again as well.

I could sit here and talk about music all day since most people I know have never heard of any one I listen to.

steveo27 wrote:
PocketWater wrote:

Steveo,

Awesome. Those are all on my list if the old lady allows.

Seems like we have pretty similar taste in music.

This past year was a great year for music in PGH - I saw Ben Nichols, Dave Hause, Rocky Votolato, Against Me!, Tim Barry, Gaslight Anthem, Cory Branna,Rise Against, Social D, Drag the River, Foo Fighters, Lucero, The Menzingers, and Im sure Im forgetting a few others this year so far.

I really dig The Gaslight Anthem. I saw them when they played with Against Me! a few years back and last Summer when they played with Cory Brannan. Im super excited to see Brian Fallon do his solo stuff/This Charming Man stuff/Horrible Crows stuff. Im also pumped to see Cory Brannan again.

Chuck Ragan is coming back to Pittsburgh in February again. Looking forward to seein him again as well.

I could sit here and talk about music all day since most people I know have never heard of any one I listen to.

I misspoke on that Gaslight Anthem show. It is actually just their lead singer, Fallon, with some other band. I pick my battles getting out and seeing bands and heading out fishing and hunting. My one good buddy puts on a festival on the North Side each summer. It's usually a pretty fun time. Should check it out in 2016.

http://deutschtownmusicfestival.org/

Edit: Just saw that Dave and Phil Alvin and the Guilty Ones are booked for Club Cafe on Friday March 11th at 7:00. I saw them this past year down there and that was one hell of a show. Being in such a small venue and hearing them rock it out was awesome. The band that opened for them last time, The Far West, was really freaking good too. Bunch of younger guys. Should check them out.

Ill have to check out the festival.

Thanks for posting the link

I guess I'll show my age here again. I never heard of any of these people, except Willie Nelson. I am content to journey with Journey, the Eagles, Bob Seger, or the 4 Tops. When you could still listen to cassettes in a truck, you could add the Rascals, the Supremes, and TDN to these, among some others. Carole King had some nice songs, too, and America had a nice tape or two. CCR also made some nice music.

I guess it's kind of like the craft beers some guys on here like: I have never heard of most of them, though one tavern I visit has a list of these types of beers. My tastes are plebeian, I guess, as Miller Lite, Yueng, and Straub all taste just fine to me. Really, if it's free (unlikely) and/or cold, it generally tastes pretty good.

Anyhow, I am content to listen to the old guys and girls when I am headed to the crick.

rrt wrote:
I guess I'll show my age here again. I never heard of any of these people, except Willie Nelson. I am content to journey with Journey, the Eagles, Bob Seger, or the 4 Tops. When you could still listen to cassettes in a truck, you could add the Rascals, the Supremes, and TDN to these, among some others. Carole King had some nice songs, too, and America had a nice tape or two. CCR also made some nice music.

Anyhow, I am content to listen to the old guys and girls when I am headed to the crick.

Nothing wrong with any of the music you mentioned. All proven good choices by their longevity.

I'll also drink any of those beers you mentioned, but do prefer the craft type beers. I live right beside Penn Brewery in Pittsburgh though so get my growler filled there often, with their brews.

Like rrt I never heard of any of those artists or bands with the exception of Willie Nelson. Give me some ZZ Top, ELO, Journey, Styx,Bob Seger, The Eagles, BTO, Queen. The list goes on but stops in the early 90's when real music and real talent went out the window!

Back