good beginner vise

willdeb

willdeb

can someone tell me a good beginner vise

Price range?

Also it would be good to know if you want to start with a rotary vise or not and what flies you are planning on tying.

willdeb wrote:
can someone tell me a good beginner vise

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Review%201/Fly_Tying_Vise_Shoot-Out.htm

Renzetti Traveler. Great for a beginner and when you move beyond the beginner stage you'll be glad to have a vise that will last you for a lifetime of tying.

You gonna stick with it? Not sure? Maybe $200 is a bit of a hefty investment not including anything else?

For $40, you can get the Cabela's standard tool kit, which is Good Enough and has everything you need save materials. If you use it, great, you can upgrade the vise to a $200+ device down the line and the old one becomes your travel vise, the tools are all servicable, and some guys continue to use it for quite some time.

It is hard to recomend a vise for someone because everyone has a different tying style. Probably the Apex Anvil is a good all around vise for a beginner. It is not expensive and can tie flies on a variety of hooks. I tried 5 or 6 vises before I settled on the HMH standard. I could never get use to the rotary style because I rest my hand on top of the vise.

+2 for the Anvil Apex. I've had it since Christmas, and I'm happy with it. Eventually I'll upgrade now that I know I'm going to stick with tying.
I'm afraid of suggesting a "cheaper" vise for a fear of the low quality of the vise will frustrate a new tier and turn them off. My Apex holds the hooks securely, has a clamp/pedestal base, and kinda has a rotary feature. It's dependable, and that's all I wanted for my first vise. You can find it for $80-100 throughout the web.

I will gladly suggest cheap vises for someone who has no idea if they care about this or not.

You don't need a Porsche to drive to work, and you don't need a $100+ vise to tie flies.

Once you decide you're into it, you can then go ahead and jump on a $100-200 unit and put the $20 into a closet, your travel kit, give to a friend who's just starting out, etc.

As a commercial/professional tyer I would recomend the thomson AA for under $ 100.00 and the Anvil Apex for $ 99.00 and above. i still tie on the AA at times. The Anvil Atlas would be next in line for over $ 120.00

Back