Gonna be a lot more 17s and 18s that used to be 20s on the forum....

I thought the same thing but 17" and 18" is still being generous. More like lots of 15" and 16"

No more "I have big hands!" and no more long-arming fish.

I’m always amazed at how different I am from other anglers. The last thing I want is a picture of a fish and the next to last thing I want to do is set up my phone on the bank to take a picture so I can know the exact length, girth and weight of the fish. Makes me think why some people fish.

I thought the same thing but 17" and 18" is still being generous. More like lots of 15" and 16"

No more "I have big hands!" and no more long-arming fish.
I was definitely trying to be kind!
I’m always amazed at how different I am from other anglers. The last thing I want is a picture of a fish and the next to last thing I want to do is set up my phone on the bank to take a picture so I can know the exact length, girth and weight of the fish. Makes me think why some people fish.
I do think there are ages and stages to anglers. If someone's never caught a 20, it's a big deal. I am guilty of taking 3 or 4 "selfish" shots a year, but they better be 20+ for all that.

How are you going to get your fly fishing-inspired streetwear from rapper Drake in the photo unless you get a full body shot? I am beginning to think we all died a few years back and this is a simulation....

Im with you for the most part. I will take one or 2 if I am out on an all day trip just to have something to send to my kids or have some pictures to post here, but most of the time I can't even remember to do that. Even when I do it is a quick pic with the fish in the net.

I just looked and verified that I have taken pictures of exacly 2 fish this year, one trout and one bass my son caught.
20240928_145805.jpg
IMG_20240901_212730.jpg

Reactions: tpn
It's too much work. I just want to catch more so I can say I have caught more and bigger fish than my fishing friends. 🙂

I do think there are ages and stages to anglers. If someone's never caught a 20, it's a big deal. I am guilty of taking 3 or 4 "selfish" shots a year, but they better be 20+ for all that.

And likewise, a 16" fish is a big deal for some guys in some places. Especially a wild fish.

There are a lot of places I've fished where anything over 14" is exceptionally rare and other places where an 18" fish is nearly a sure thing. It's all relative and context is everything. Anglers would do right by themselves to skip wild size guesstimates and just say, "Here's a nice fish I caught and it is much larger than the average for Creek/Area X."

Hey what’s wrong with long arming? If I’m taking a picture of a fish , I want to fill the frame with the fish. Who cares if the angler is blurry and in the distant background. I’m taking pictures of a fish not a fisherman. Can’t get T-Rex arms last minute and end up with a brute holding a minnow. The fish should be the star of the show!
~5footfenwick

I take pictures of fish so I can prove to my wife I didn’t just go for a walk in the creek

Steve
I take pictures of my fish, so my buddies who often catch squat can tell their wives the same thing. I would expect the same from them were roles reversed🙂

Reactions: scs
Hey what’s wrong with long arming? If I’m taking a picture of a fish , I want to fill the frame with the fish. Who cares if the angler is blurry and in the distant background. I’m taking pictures of a fish not a fisherman. Can’t get T-Rex arms last minute and end up with a brute holding a minnow. The fish should be the star of the show!
~5footfenwick
I have no problem if your fishtechy ball is the size of a beach ball in the pic!

Instea
How are you going to get your fly fishing-inspired streetwear from rapper Drake in the photo unless you get a full body shot? I am beginning to think we all died a few years back and this is a simulation....

I predict that this technology and Drake/Nike fishing stuff will be equally unpopular.

It's too much work. I just want to catch more so I can say I have caught more and bigger fish than my fishing friends. 🙂
I am amazed when people tell me that they take pictures of every fish they catch and also record time, date, species, and length. Sounds like something that would take s large amount of time away from fishing and also way too much trouble with not much benefit. I like others have stated only take a picture / measure any that meet / exceed the 20" mark on my net.

I dislike long arming. Any guy who fishes a lot can easily see how distorted the fish looks when a guy's arms are fully extended. I measure any fish I think is 19" or bigger. I don't bother measuring, or photographing, trout that look less than 19". I'd rather under estimate a length than have some keyboard jockey bust my chops about a length. Like this 20" brown.

Attachments

• 20240706_143850.jpg
    20240706_143850.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 41
Back