Going To The Beach . need a little advice.

L_soult

L_soult

Hi Guys-

I'm headed to a moderately busy, 3 block wide beach island in NJ this weekend.

After 4 years of watching my FIL catch absolutely nothing on the sound and surf with bait I'm wondering if I should even take my fly rod. Maybe too many people and jet skis for the fish to come close enough to catch? And if I do hook up would my 5 wt survive?

Any insight?

Take your 5WT and some Clouser Minnow flies and give it a try. There are small bluefish and flounders in the NJ surf this time of year and you can handle them on a small, trout rod (just make sure you give your gear a good cleaning afterwards as salt water is tough). If you can be on the water at first light in the morning and at dusk you stand the best chance of hooking something. Mid day on a summer beach has too much commotion and too many people.

This question is like my wife asking me if her outfit makes her fat... there is no right answer.

If I say don't take the rods, there will be fish blitzing in the surf all day long.
If I say take the rods, you will get in trouble from your family for not spending enough time with them ... and getting skunked to boot!

I recommend you covertly sneak the rod in the back of the car without anyone else knowing!

This question is like my wife asking me if her outfit makes her fat... there is no right answer.
That's not as bad as her asking if her outfit makes her look as fat as last summer. Even say "No", and you'll still get smacked !

The wife thing is easy...a guy from work told me this:

just stand behind her, softly put your arms around her, caress her midsection with 2 hands, and then..

Shake it up and down yelling "chubba wubba wubba!"

She she'll never ask you that again.

I thought David's post was sound advice but Launce, your post is brilliant.

Definitely take your rod and some flies and get out there early.

New Jersey sucks.

Honestly, I dunno. I know people do ok. I never have there. Farther south beach fishing can be very good. But the artificially widened touristy beaches often aren't as good.

Don't forget you need a salt water license.

Tied up a #1 and #2 white clouser with flash for the trip. Almost caught a toddler on the back cast and a boogie boarder in the while stripping. Damn toddlers need to learn some surf side etiquette. :)

L_soult, it sounds like a couple of big ones got away. Next time sharpen them hooks first.

U could always ask her, "do you think my hands are to small!

Take it from me....just tell her the couch sure looks good tonight.

Back