Go

Acristickid

Acristickid

I’d be thankful if I’m still alive in my 70’s let alone ambulatory enough to wade. Keep it up!!!!

IMO, 70 is the new 40. GG

Seems to be an error , hah

You can’t do anything about your genes and there’s not much that you can do to control your luck, so the only actions that you can take to increase the chances that you will be wading in your seventies are to follow health-related guidelines and dedicate time, perhaps even some present fishing time, to staying in shape throughout life.

I'll hit 70 before the end of the year. I can still wade many of the places that I always have, but there are now more places that I won't try that I used to fish. My bad knee doesn't help.

I do NOT want to gentle into that good night; I am going to keep trying to do as many of the things I like for as long as I can. I don't want to become one of those old guys who sit around gas stations, barber shops, or bars who brag about how great a sportsman I was when I was young. (And,I have never been that great, though I am pretty persistent most of the time.)

So, I agree: GO!

:)

Attachments

• Go.jpg
    Go.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 5
I may be one of the oldest forum members at 76. If I hadn't injured myself in September of 2017 while doing a bonehead thing on the Susky in my bass boat I would probably still be able to wade almost as strongly as prior to the incident.

Now my wading is limited to either moderate current no deeper than my knees or deeper water but minimal flow. Luckily I still have the Hyde and the Lowe bass boat so while I may not be able to wade like I used to I can still handle both boats and can probably cast as far sitting as many guys do standing.

I still do Montana every year for two weeks and just got back from almost a week fishing steelhead. I am often the oldest guy on the river and younger guys often tell me they hope they are still alive at 76 let alone wading.

The brown was in early July and the steelhead just last week. I have to make an effort to get around and can't walk without a cane or a wading staff. But it is better than sitting in front of a computer screen all day.

Attachments

• 20191022_000735 (307x450).jpg
    20191022_000735 (307x450).jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 22 Inch Brown.jpg
    22 Inch Brown.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 5
I turned 70 in July and still fish 150 to 200 days a year and I still wade pretty good but now I always carry a wading staff try not to fish alone when I do fish alone I am very carefully where I go
A very good friend and also a forum member is in his late 70’s and fishes more than I do

You guys are an inspiration for me! I just hit my 60's. Gave up skiing this year after looking carefully at the risk/reward ratio but I hope to be fly fishing until I drop.

acristickid wrote:
I’d be thankful if I’m still alive in my 70’s let alone ambulatory enough to wade. Keep it up!!!!

Dear acristickid,

Just roll with the punches until all you can do is roll.

You were born with a prepaid round-trip ticket. No one will call you to the station ahead of schedule. It simply doesn't work that way.

Give 'em Hell until you get the boarding call.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

I'm 79,I can still wade but most times choose not to,since I had a stroke a couple years ago my sense of balance is shaky.So I just get in to my knees and my wading staff is always handy.

I’m 83 and still fishing mountain brook trout streams regularly. As a concession, I did finally started using a wading staff a couple of years ago, because I don’t want to fall and break something. It takes a long time to heal as one gets older. I don’t get as far from the truck as I used to, and that limits me to places closer to the road than when I was younger. Don’t give up too soon guys. You've still got some years left.

So I just get in to my knees and my wading staff is always handy.

Me too - while it might seem to limit me somewhat I can still reach out to where better fish rise. It's all good as long as we can still get out and enjoy this magnificent obsession.

Turned 68 and couldn't wade this year because of vertigo. Had a CT scan and a MRI on my neck last week. Hope they find the problem

Getting old is not for sissies. GG

Back