Go Pro Camera

J

jmflyfisher

Looking for a little help here....thinking about buying a Go Pro. I would be using it for a lot of the outdoor stuff I do, including fishing and possible even flytying.

Can anyone make any recommendations about a particular model, as well as any "must have" accessories?

Thanks in advance!

I currently take my GoPro every time I go fishing and I've been able to get some great footage/photos. I have the Hero4 Silver, which has a touchscreen on the back. I would highly suggest that you get one with a screen on it so that you can actually see what you're taking photos/video of. These models are a little pricier, but I personally think it's worth it. If you get one without a screen on it, you cannot view any of the media until it is downloaded onto your computer. For all day outdoor activities I've found that having the screen is great since you can review what you've shot during the day without having to lug a computer around. The only downside is I think that they use the battery a little faster than models without it.

As for accessories, I think that there is a lot of personal preference here depending on how you want to carry it and use it. Specifically for fishing, I have seen a lot of people using the head mount and chest mount, but I don't have either. I use Peak Design Capture POV mount which allows you to attach it to any strap/belt you've got. I just attach it to my wading belt right in front, and it works great. If I'm hiking I can attach it to a backpack strap as well. In addition to this, you may want to check out some of the variety accessory packs on Amazon. They are a total steal and come with tons of accessories to let you figure out what works best for you. I bought some extra batteries and a portable charger too so that if I am using the camera more during the day and the battery dies, I can swap out. And the charger is a standard USB so I can throw a battery pack in my backpack to recharge for overnight fishing adventures. Hopefully this helps you out!

DoctorWater15, are you using any special lens adapters or editing software ?

I have an original Hero and have never liked the video or the "fish eye" effect. I consider the GoPro I have to be a toy and wouldn't mind getting rid of it.

I have a GoPro Hero Silver 4 and have a remote control that is on my wrist.
I have taken great videos with it. I have posted them on my facebook page

here is a link of a one video I posted to YouTube

https://youtu.be/kJT1jA5MMhI

I have a GoPro, not sure which one I have.

Personal Preferences and observations so far:

I find it to be a pain in the ***. I usually walk miles and miles when I fish places and having to shoot a full day of video literally requires one to carry at least 4 batteries and a couple SD cards. Batteries last about 2 hours and I believe an SD card only holds 4 hours of video. So if you are an all day guy like some of us you need the extra stuff.

I agree with poster above, you have to have one with a screen. I would hate to shoot all day and come to find out your camera was aimed at the wrong angle.

I really dis-like the idea of shooting from the belt region of the body, my biggest gripe with go-pro videos is that you really can't see what the fisherman sees. If trout aren't hitting the top or you are using a thingamabobber you're basically watching a guy fight fish, you don't really get to see anything good b/c the glare on the water and the angle.

In the accessory bundle I got came a strap on < had to do it, in which I mount the camera onto the left shoulder strap of my fishpond chest-backpack. It keeps the camera high enough but allows me to see the screen and see what I'm shooting. Also when I walk or change flies I can just press a button and shut if off to save battery and memory. When I start fishing again I just hit the button and it films immediately. I think shooting from the head, I personally would be taking it on and off all the time messing with it to see if I'm filming correctly and clicking the button.

*I'm thinking about getting a large tri-pod so I can just set it up near the bank and shoot the whole ordeal.

I mount my GoPro Silver on my hat.
I only turn it on then I hook a fish so that I am not using up the batteries and I do carry 4 batteries with me and a second SD card.

This is better than using my cell phone or taking a video camera fishing. Waterproof and small.

As I stated using the remote control saves battery life.

When I took it out west I also carried a solar charger because there wasn't electricity where we were camping.

On the Greybull River in WY
https://youtu.be/rhy5-ISgPhY

Jerry how do your pictures turn out?

The advantage to using my Iphone is I can set it in my tri-pod and i can see the picture I am taking as I take it. The Go-pro I imagine the advantage is you just take video then clip your pictures when editing. Taking pictures blind is old school and so hit and miss.

Do your pictures have that long stretch to them or do they come out normal?

Thanks!

I attached a snapshot of the video from GoPro using Pinnacle Studio

The GoPro as a camera does a nice job also

Attachments

• GOPR0128_Snapshot.jpg
    GOPR0128_Snapshot.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 8
  • GOPR0123_Snapshot_resized.jpg
    GOPR0123_Snapshot_resized.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 9
I've seen some nice videos that supposedly came from GoPros, mine never looked that good. I assume they've improved the lens since their original Hero. The glass in the original was crap.

I'm a Canon guy so I'm used to superior optics, this GoPro was a huge step down in the quality of my photos & videos.

I never had any success with the GoPro in low light conditions, and the audio even without the waterproof case on was low quality. I can't see how any of the Chinese knock off cams can be any worse.

henry,

I generally just use the free GoPro software to edit, and I just make sure I save and upload in 1080p. It seems to turn out just fine.

DoctorWater15
how do you like the Peak Design POV? I've been using the had mount I got with GoPro and works fine.

Using the GoPro Hero4 silver has made take videos easy and it is light weight and waterproof. I have been always scared of taking my Canon EOS fishing with me cause all I need is one slip and the camera is ruined.

" I have been always scared of taking my Canon EOS fishing with me cause all I need is one slip and the camera is ruined."

I've dunked a couple cameras, won't take the good one I have out on the water when wading. I am seriously considering an Olympus waterproof camera. I have a smaller Canon refurb for wading I picked up cheap, it's already been dunked and the flash won't work but for daytime still photos it still does fine.

Jerry,

I really like the Peak Designs POV! It's super easy to use and small, and since you can pull the camera out of the mount, I can still use it to film things other than from my waist where I generally keep it.

I've used a GoPro for years. Pros:

- Easy to use
- Waterproof
- Video Quality is good
- GoPro's own software is fine for editing this type of footage

Cons:

- It's a POV camera... fisheye, eventually boring perspective over time, etc.
- Chesty chest mount is a pain for fishing
- Mounting on head / hat is heavy
- I'm not sure many people realize it, but all those really great GoPro "professional" videos have had a lot done to them in post production to handle shake, fisheye, etc.

I use mine mostly for other things these days. Instead I bought a small, good waterproof camera (mine's the Nikon, but there are others that are good as well). It's HD video has no fisheye/distortion and is great quality. It also takes great still photos. It's nearly as light and is waterproof. It doesn't have all the "on body" mounts available.

I can vouch for the Peak Designs Capture clip mount that was mentioned. I've used it with the GoPro, point and shoot still camera (the Nikon), DLSR cameras... It's a great accessory. If you're using it with a light camera like a GoPro or small point and shoot, you only need the lesser expensive Capture. The more expensive one is intended for heavy DLSR cameras. As someone else noted, you can attach the Capture to anything that's "strap-like" so a belt, wader suspender, chest pack or backpack strap, etc. The camera can be disconnected quickly. So what I do is also carry in my pack a little tripod. So if I want to, I can pop the camera off the mount and quickly put it on a little tripod. If I'm in "filming mood" I can do that and capture different perspectives than just POV to edit together.

If I were to buy another GoPro for fishing, I'd go with the cheapest one they have in the line-up now unless you're buying it for 4K video and specialized video production. For fishing, anything other than the least expensive one is overkill in my opinion and while it's waterproof and rugged, you drop it in a deep spot and you're screwed. Having done exactly that once, to anyone who is fishing with a GoPro I recommend taking some neon tape and putting it on the case. It's hard to see the thing when it's settled among rocks and crap on the stream bottom.

Excellent post JW1970 I think for now I'm going to stick with my light weight Canon on a lanyard around my neck

JerryCoviello wrote:
I only turn it on then I hook a fish so that I am not using up the batteries and I do carry 4 batteries with me and a second SD card.

This is better than using my cell phone or taking a video camera fishing. Waterproof and small.

When I took it out west I also carried a solar charger because there wasn't electricity where we were camping.

Jerry,
I have been considering a gopro here for some time because I would love video and pictures of my adventures but I shy away from taking my phone out of my waders for a picture. Water + phone is a bad combo. Do you find the gopro tiresome or uncomfortable with a head mount all day?

nomad_archer wrote:
JerryCoviello wrote:

Jerry,
I have been considering a gopro here for some time because I would love video and pictures of my adventures but I shy away from taking my phone out of my waders for a picture. Water + phone is a bad combo. Do you find the gopro tiresome or uncomfortable with a head mount all day?

Hi Nomad_Archer
In the beginning I found the wearing of the GoPro a little heavy on the hat but i got use to it.

I now wear it for a good 8 hrs when i am fishing.

I do like it on my head because where i am looking the camera is pointed in that directions. I do have it on the wide setting but I think I now can go to normal setting for video recording.

I have never used the GoPro software. I had all the video editing software called Pinnacle Studios, because I edit my fly tying videos from a DVC Video Camera. BUT i have never touched up a GoPro Video so what you saw was the Camera recording.

Just knowing it is water proof makes it worth taking videos while fishing. Not taking my Video Camera on stream.
The extra accessory of a Remote for the Hero 4 was worth it. This saves me battery life. I turn the GoPro on when i hook a fish. No reason to video me casting for an hour.

If you would like to see more of my fishing videos let me know I'll send you the links

Thank Jerry. That is the information I needed. I want to go with the full size hero versus the sessions version. For many reasons such as the screen and the ability to change batteries. You have been very helpful. I will say that my goal is to take video and/or still on the stream and not have to worry about dropping my phone in the drink.

Back