Gloves for winter FFing?

K

kbobb

Hi All,
Been using my ragg wool gloves with half fingers for years and they work oK - only problem is they continually get stuck on the velcro patches on my vest.
what do you all use for winter fishing and how do you like them?

thanks

I've been using these for a couple of seasons now and like them :

https://www.sierra.com/guide-polartec-windbloc-half-finger-gloves-for-men~p~23cpd/

Here is a link to what I use but it seems you would have the same problem with your Velcro patches. I had a pair of thinsulate 1/2 finger gloves that were great however one of them took a float down Penns 2 years ago and I was too old, slow and uncoordinated to rescue it!
Looks like those ones Vaughn posted above would be nice.

https://www.amazon.com/Thinsulate-Thick-Knitted-Mitten-Gloves/dp/B01N04V2TT/ref=sr_1_11?crid=31WG7C5WBZZ1D&dchild=1&keywords=thinsulate%2Bmittens%2Bmen&qid=1610312907&sprefix=Thinsulate%2Bmit%2Caps%2C184&sr=8-11&th=1&psc=1

coyoterahm

Gravel Hill Cemetery, Palmyra, Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, USA
Here is a link to what I use but it seems you would have the same problem with your Velcro patches. I had a pair of thinsulate 1/2 finger gloves that were great however one of them took a float down Penns 2 years ago and I was too old, slow and uncoordinated to rescue it!
Looks like those ones Vaughn posted above would be nice.

https://www.amazon.com/Thinsulate-Thic ... %2C184&sr=8-11&th=1&psc=1

I have a pair of those Thinsulate half finger mittens, and they are great and warm, I don’t do much winter fishing anymore and have not for over 4 years, but when I did they always keep my hands warm when fishing. The only problem I had is sometimes my line would get caught on the mitten part when I had them folded back on the back of my hand.

I have two gloves, wool fingerless gloves for cold and kast steelhead gloves for really cold. Love them both.

They will be wet, so you need something that will get dry out and fleece is best for that. However, what I have found is the fleece is too thick. Grippy palm surfaces are great and they shouldn't be thick , but are too often. THis makes it less easy to hold the rod, especially if you have medium sized hands like mine. (although most of the gloves that fit are large, sizes make no sense.)
A '100' weight polar-tec fingerless glove with silicon palm dots would be exactly what I'd want, but haven't found.

thanks to All,
the Simms gloves look nice but STP is out of my size.
I guess if my fingers get cold enough may pay full price!!
Will look into the Kast steelhead gloves.

I hate fishing with gloves so I avoid it like bars during Covid...

Three things to think about:

1. Wool insulates when wet and fleece doesn't.

2. Fingers exposed get cold & numb so fold-over options to cover non-engaged fingers are nice to have.

3. As Sylvaneous said, THIN grippy palms would be ideal, but good luck finding them.

I have an old pair of the fleece Simms fold-over mitts. I usually leave only my thumb and index finger exposed when it is really cold and sometime my middle finger when I am tying a blood knot or in case someone pisses me off. ;-)

If the palm was thin, I would be happy with them but it is fleece like the rest of the glove and kills the feel I want to have on my rod grip. I thought about cutting the palm out and replacing it with something thin & grippy but I always chicken out.

About a 1000 years ago, Orvis sold a plain neoprene glove which wasn't bad. You just had to cut slits to poke your fingers through, but the grip was great. If you could find a plain thin neoprene glove it might be an option.

Another option - MaxiFlex makes tons of great flexible work gloves that are grippy as heck & cheap. I use them around the house and when shoveling snow. They may be all you need...

Bottom line - I can't recommend enough trying a pair on with a rod in your hand AND trying to tie a knot or two with them on. If it was me, at minimum I'd go to a Simms dealer at at least try on what they have to offer to get a reference point as Simms has a ton of options, albeit pricey options but options non the less.

Good luck!

You might want to try looking for scuba diving gloves, they might be some out there for light tropical neoprene gloves because of divers not wanting to get cut by coral. Just a thought.

One of the things I really like about the Simms gloves I posted above is that the palms are thin and the back of the hand is plush fleece. I don’t know if the model that replaced those are the same.

I tried a pair of fold over mitts and didn’t care for them as much.

I hate fishing with gloves, I use a pocket warmer pouch around my waist like you see football players use.

While living in AK, I used Simms half-finger wool gloves for moderate weather and Glacier Glove Angler gloves for when it was so cold that I probably shouldn't have been on the river to start with. I believe that Glacier now calls them their "Pro Angler Gloves", and they jacked-up the price about $10, since I bought mine some 9 years ago ... but they're probably at least as effective as they had been.

I use the Simms half finger fleece gloves for cold weather fishing. They work well for me. No complaints. I have not found anything better so will continue to use them.

https://www.sealskinzusa.com/products/waterproof-all-weather-ultra-grip-knitted-glove?variant=36556995330214&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-qrAmKeh7gIV_v_jBx29dgLDEAQYBCABEgIVrfD_BwE

Back