Glenwood Springs CO - Guide Recommendations

B

brookie222

I'll be in Glenwood Springs CO for a few days in mid-April, and I'm looking for a guide. Is fishing better in the Colorado River, the Glenwood Canyon, or the Roaring Forks River? Also, I prefer wading, but would wading or a float trip be better?

I'll be in Glenwood Springs CO for a few days in mid-April, and I'm looking for a guide. Is fishing better in the Colorado River, the Glenwood Canyon, or the Roaring Forks River? Also, I prefer wading, but would wading or a float trip be better?
April is a great time to fish all those places .
I would call Roaring Fork Anglers .

You'll also be just 30 minutes from Basalt Co. and the Frying Pan River. if you prefer wading .... you really should treat yourself to a day or 2 on the Frying Pan - it is a real experience ... a true insect factory. Taylor Creek Fly Shop and Frying Pan Anglers are both right in Basalt ... they can take care of you. both flyshop websites have really good stream condition reports.

Have some great fun!

If you’re looking to wade the frying pan would be my recommendation. The fork and the Colorado depending on the flow will be difficult to wade. Roaring fork anglers would be my choice to call for a guide in that area on the fork/Colorado and Taylor creek for the frying pan. IMO you could do some research ahead of time and Diy the public sections of the frying pan. And for what it’s worth the toilet bowl is wildly overrated

This map & guide is really helpful and critical ... especially for the Pan ... it shows all the c&r areas and public water all through the entire Gold Medal fishing area. one side of map is the Pan, the other is the RF... from glennwood springs all the way to independence pass. hopefully there is a current and updated edition. it would be a good idea to order one from 1 of the Basalt fly shops i mentioned above, then you can do some real research & planning prior to being there.

A few years ago i was on the Pan in late August. day before was 80 degrees, then a front moved in and it dropped to the 40s... with heavy clouds, rain then sleet. i was up near the Big K ranch section. bugs poured off the creek -- drakes, pmds, sulphers, isos, caddis, etc etc. had the whole river to myself. i caught so many feeshies ... i was exhausted when i stopped.

Really a cool place.

Attachments

• 20230227_081016.jpg
    20230227_081016.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 11
I fished all of those places by myself last fall and my immediate reaction would be do you even need a guide? There are fish everywhere and tons of pull offs. Just get a map and find the water on your own and save a ton of cash.

Back