Glass rod

jmh159

jmh159

Man it's been forever since I've been on this board...Hows everyone doing?

Anyway, I just had a quick question for all you experts out there. A guy from work gave me and old glass fly rod and a few old reels. One reel doesn't have any markings and the other is a Bronson Royal 360. The rod is a 2 piece and is probably 7.5' or maybe 8' (haven't measured) and all the markings on it are worn off. There is some faded lettering that has what looks like "flite" written on it. My question is, what is the best way to determine the line weight for this rod. All the guides are there and in good shape and as far as I'm concerned it is a completely useable rod. I can tell its been sitting in a garage for a very long time but the cork can be cleaned and the "old" look of the rod is kinda cool. I'd like to be able to use this rod sometime, but I'd hate to buy a nice 5wt line and then realize it casts an 8wt better....

With the lines you have laying around take them out and cast them to see which one you feel works best. I would say it's probably 4 5 or 6. Hope that helps without seeing any markings on the rod it's kinda tuff.

If you can figure how old it is you would have a better idea of line wt. most of the glass rods from early 70s back were 6wt. and up. I recently built a rod from a blank that I didn't have any specs on, I could figure that it was most likely a 4/5 by the dimensions. I just tried it with a few different line weights. I found that it is a versital rod, I started with 4wt. and it did good, I've been useing it with 6 wt. because that was the gap I needed to fill, and it works great, so there isn't a need for me to try 5wt. .

Buffalo is spot on, usually these rods will carry several different lines with ease, but you can be assured its probably designed as a 6/7DT rod.

http://fiberglass-fly-rods.pbworks.com/w/page/5182980/FrontPage
and
http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/
are both great resources. the forum has a classic reel section, the bronson 360's come up a few times.

Thanks guys. I don't really have too many different lines laying around to try out, but I do have a few 4wt and 5wt lines that I can try.

Back