Glass rod repairs

The_Sasquatch

The_Sasquatch

Two quick questions. I have a Fenwick FF88 (I believe that's right) fly rod (7.5' 5/6 weight) and its missing a piece. Not sure what its called, its basically a butt piece that goes over the bottom of the rod. Right now I can look right into the bottom of the rod and see the whole way down the rod. Is there a place where I can find a piece to replace this?

The other rod is a Phillipson. 6', 5/6 weight. The end piece which holds the reel into place has come off. Its a simple reglue, wasn't sure if anyone knew of the best glue to use for this repair. I would guess it gets a good amount of pressure put on it from holding the reel in place.

google butt caps for fishingrods

I tried. You think it has to be Fenwick specific? I'm not very savvy on this kind of thing.

on the fenwick, you could find anything suitable that would act as a butt cap. even a small rubber cap or plug will work. ( you could make it removable and hide your stash in there if you into that!!)
search at hardware stores and such, the pull out bins where the nuts and bolts are kept usually have some drawers that contain various plugs, caps and that kind of thing.
if you want the original part, do a search on the fiberglass forum, those guys are great at finding the obsure!
as for glue for the reel seat, most guys use two part epoxy, devcon is a common name. they sell small vials of it along with an end that actually mixes it as you squeeze it out(it comes in a syringe type thing). the 5 minute stuff will probably work well for you. just make sure you clean both parts good, wipe off any extra that may ooze out, and use some masking tape to hold it in place till it dries. even though the tube says 5 minutes, I'd wait a day or so before using the rod.

I lost the butt cap on my 3wt. Superglued a nickel on there, problem solved.

Actually, maybe it's a penny. Meh. Bottom line is, I tried various coins until I found one that fit right, then glued it in place. I wouldn't have bothered if it didn't have one of those annoying reel seats with nothing but two little metal rings.

Hmm thats a good idea Jay. I'll try various coins. Kind of unique too.

I have a wooden reel seat, so figured super glue would work. Depending on what your seat is made of, I might use a different adhesive.

No idea. It's worth a shot, but epoxy might work better.

if it's on a glass rod, chances are it's aluminum. maybe a modified beer bottle cap!!

I likes these ideas!

Aluminum. Its definitely aluminum.

it will have to be a 70's vintage beer cap though!

you could ask over at www.fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum

Thanks Turkey. I should read that site. Its blocked at work for whatever reason, so I tend to just ask here 'cause I can't wait till I get home from work to find the answers I seek.

coincidentally, there is a very recent thread over there on butt caps.

Epoxy would be the correct adhesive for this. The 5 min stuff works fine. If you want an actual butt cap, measure the inner diameter and contact REC (www.rec.com). If they don't have a match they will machine one for you for a few dollars extra. Nothing wrong with a coin or other item that fits, just make sure it is a good fit to minimize water and other stuff getting in there. If the reel seat insert is wooden, the ends and center bore are likely not sealed, so water could get into the end grain and make a mess of things.

Just got done using JB Weld on a nickel. Looks pretty hot actually haha! Somehow a picture of Ben Franklin w/ the slogan "Liberty" fits my Libertarian style.

Is it a 50 cent piece, or did you find one of those extremely rare Franklin nickles?

Its a Franklin nickle. Don't mess w/ me! I'm a banker!

Back