glass flyrods

shademt

shademt

was wondering if there is ever a situation where a fiberglass rod is as good or better than a graphite ?....Here is my take on it....small stream ...delicate presentation...small fly's. Being a hobby bowyer longbows , recurves ect...i do know a bit about fiberglass the new s glass e glass ect....fiberglass of today is not the same as what grandad used in the 60's. Many of todays fiberglass rods are actually what is considered a glass composite. ?......and....today's upper end graphite rods often use a higher modulus graphite which is great for making those powerful tightlooped cast..but it is also more brittle...correct me if i'm wrong but the higher the modulus of graphite..the more brittle it becomes....so.....is there a case to be argued..in favor of better quality glass rods (not a wal mart cheapy). for small stream fine leaders and small fly's..... and durability. curious to hear your thoughts.

For my purposes, fiberglass is never the optimal tool.

If I liked how fiberglass casted, though, that would be different.

Glass is definitely more durable than graphite, but I mostly buy rods that have warranties because of that. Even fast action graphite rods have relatively soft tips, and I have never had an issue with "protecting" tippets.

To me, graphite is simply more versatile, more practical, and feels better in the hand. To some others, I know that's not the case.

No matter how much we reason about it, the subjective part is always going to be there imo.

currently all my rods are graphite..from 61/2 ' to 9'....but i'm considering a upper end glass rod 7' 3wt or 4wt....if for no other reason than just to have one..

I LOVE my Diamondback "Diamondglass" 7'6" 3 weight for small dryflys and delicate presentation ie. trico's, bwo's.

I fish glass almost exclusively. I just like the way it casts. I use bamboo also, but my glass gets the most use. I do own a handful of graphite rods, but they just feel wierd after fishing glass for so many years.
for newer glass, I'm partial to Mike Mcfarlands rods, I have 2 that I built from blanks, a spruce creek 8.0' 5wt, and a yellow unsanded 7'.6" 4wt. Both are very versatile and will handle a number of line weights.
I also have a couple FH Paddock 3wts, one at 6', one at 6'6". very nice small stream tools.
there are some guys starting to make longer glass, mike will have some 9 footers out this spring, but they will be a limited edition. there is also talk on the glass forum of a 10' 3wt., I think shane at graywolf rods is building that up.
I've also got about 35 vintage glass rods I fish, no clear favorites there, but the philipson and a certain cortland get the most use out of the group.
it's all in what you like and how you cast, there is no "wrong" rod, just find the one that suits your style.

I use a Phillipson 5/6 weight 6' and a Fenwick 5/6 weight 7' more than any of my other rods. I usually take the 6' into small brookie streams. I really like how it casts because its really just a flick of the wrist and I got line shooting out. It also feels almost like a full flex rod. I like that about it. I think Jay is right, its really preference. I started using glass because an older gentleman started to unload his old gear on me.

anyone ever try a steffan glass rod?

I've never tried one, but I've heard they are on the faster side for glass. I may build one up for steelhead, tired of getting made fun of with my 10 dollar true temper :lol:

I've heard nothing but good things about the Steffens.

hello all,
New to the board - should probably say hi in the general forum-have been fishing glass for a long time - since I was a kid.
Got on the graphite bandwagon when they came out in the 70's but recently have been using glass more for certain applications.
I think for 8' rod and under, short casts or small creeks glass has certain properties that make it worth considering over graphite.
I like it for small streams where I do lots or roll casting or when I'm casting small flies under 20' or so.
Maybe because it flexes nice and easy it's easier on my shoulder than graphite.
Some graphite works well in these situations also like the original Orvis rods and superfine series, Scott G, Winston IM6/WT - these seem to have a little more backbone than glass but still have a true medium action for similar situations.
Right now my favorite glass are an old fenwick 7.5' 6wt, a Steffen 8' 3/4 and a discontinued Lamiglas 7.5 4wt. These are fun rods and make little fish feel big - and isn't having fun what it's all about?
Give a glass rod a try under the right circumstances and you might really have some fun.

Back