Gill lice and native trout

mgmunson

mgmunson

I had my first encounter with a gill lice infestation last week. I went to a well known local hole here in the Highlands (Blue Hole, to be exact) and hooked into one of the most vibrantly colored ST I've seen yet. As I start bringing him toward my net I thought I lost him, but come to find out he was just so lethargic that he didn't have any fight in him. In the net I could see that he was clearly quite mature; the first ST I've caught with a hook jaw. But he was also quite small for how old he looked "in the face", if you will. That's when I noticed how red and inflamed his gills were, with tons of white dots on them. Unfortunately I didn't get a good picture (of either the fish, or his gills), I was too concerned with limiting the stress and keeping him in the water.

Is this something I should report to the PAFBC? What is the best method of submitting comment? My main concern is: Ansell Run (class A), Fall Run, Blue Hole, Garys Run, and Cole Run form a prime watershed that could (read: should) be managed for native fish. Instead, Blue Hole and Fall Run are designated year-round stocked. These flow into Laurel Hill Creek which is one of the best / most popular stocked streams in the area. Why does the state feel the need to stock these high mountain headwater streams when there are miles and miles of stocked water within a 20 minute drive? I think it is hugely irresponsible on the states part and causing damage to the native and wild populations. This could be a best of both worlds deal where the total number of stocked fish just shift to more appropriate areas. I appreciate all input.

IMG 3238

IMG 3239

Gill lice are pretty evident when you see them, and actually pretty big too. Your description of white dots doesn’t quite seem right.

They will look like grains of rice or maggot in the gills.

Please report. I spend a lot of time fishing in this area and would be devastated if an outbreak like this spread.

I agree with your points on the stocking too. It seems stupid. I've been to a few of these streams after stocking, and it's almost cruel to even put large trout in some of these small streams. They usually all have to stay in the same hole they were put in because the depth/shallowness of the streams prevents any movement.

Gill lice are pretty evident when you see them, and actually pretty big too. Your description of white dots doesn’t quite seem right.

They will look like grains of rice or maggot in the gills.
That’s how I’d describe them. I had seen pictures in the past and googled them again to be sure. I was describing that I could see the white dots from a distance. The fish seemed distressed so I put more focus on keeping it in the water than getting good pictures.

That’s how I’d describe them. I had seen pictures in the past and googled them again to be sure. I was describing that I could see the white dots from a distance. The fish seemed distressed so I put more focus on keeping it in the water than getting good pictures.
Thanks for the clarification. There are some other fish health issues that can involve white spots on the gills. That’s why I questioned your description.

I catch a fair number of old, big headed, small body, male Brook Trout in the Winter. At some point, the fish’s body mass was in proportion to its head size. I usually attribute this to spawning weight loss, followed by the general reduction in food in the stream that occurs in Winter, following the spawn.

These fish are often ravenous…hitting right at your feet while you’re in clear sight of them. One time I hooked a dink and as I was stripping it in, an 8-9 inch, big head/small body male came out and grabbed it, and let me lift it completely out of the water while still holding onto the dink in its mouth. I released the big one, then unhooked and released the dink. The big one then tried to eat my fly again on the next cast. I pulled the fly away to keep it from getting hooked again. I think fish like this are in the last stages of their life and likely won’t be around to spawn again next Fall. Gill lice, if present, certainly won’t help matters.

Edit: Blue Hole is a STW right? Still in the open extended season for a few more days. Couldn’t tell if that fish was legal sized or not, probably borderline, but if it was, might have been worth harvesting to document the condition for the PFBC.

Edit 2.0: I don’t seem to notice this issue (big head/small body) as much with female Brookies. Any thoughts as to why?

Last edited:
Back