Getting the hang of this.

laurelrun

I fished the Yellow Breeches FFO section last evening from about 6:45pm until dark - 9:10pm. Water temp was just below 60 degrees in the main stream. Being a newbie, I am still most comfortable trying to work out the kinks on water that I know holds fish and that I also know is cool on a warm summer night. There were at least a half dozen other anglers there, but plenty of space for everyone to have their room to work.

I crossed the Breeches near the end of the run to get my waders wet and cool, and noticed a nice seam made by a downed tree near where I wanted to walk out to the path. I had tied on an ant dropped from an elk hair caddis, and dropped my first cast almost exactly where I thought it should be. Rewarded with a quick dart and refusal from a smallish brown. Next cast, he slammed the ant and darted into the fast current. Somehow the caddis hooked onto some mono caught in the log, so I had to walk over to release about a 7 inch brown and untangle my rig. Not bad for a cast "on the way" to where I wanted to fish.

I walked downstream a quarter mile or so and worked a few areas of downed logs and slower seams with my intention to be back at the run for dark. Found one riser in a pool but couldn't see any bugs coming off with any frequency. While I was plotting my approach with my rig drifting in the current, I felt a tug, only to LDR a quick jumper of some kind. Note to self: pay attention. After spoiling a few nice pockets by snagging myself and unhooking some branch fish, I worked my way up to the riser I had seen. Was getting discouraged as I worked the pool, knowing there was definitely a fish there. On probably my 12th cast or so, he absolutely slammed the ant and was off into the current. A nice fish, which I netted after a few aerobatics. 12" brown, nice and fat.

Working my way back up to the run with no takers, I positioned myself in one of the pools a few drops down from the bridge just as dusk was bringing on the risers. I added an indicator to help me see, since my caddis was tiny and hard to notice in the fading light. Bang! A noisy top water take, but I am positive he ate my indicator and spit it after a few tugs. Risers all over, now although I could not see what they were taking. Shortly after I nailed a nice 8" brown on the caddis! My first trout on a dry this year. Several misses and a splashy LDR later it was getting too dark to see. One more nice drift, and I saw my indicator bob under. I thought maybe I was hung up on a rock, and then realized, bigger fish! He took a run downstream taking the line from my fingers until I had him on the reel. One more brief run almost to my feet and I reeled in a beauty of a 14" rainbow. Pretty red gill plates and a nice hooked jaw. Best fish I've taken on a fly rod this year. Went out on a high note and called it quits after that.

As a newbie, it feels good to finally be making some strides. I produced fish in a variety of holds, only one of which I saw actively feeding. I didn't lose a single fly, which had more to do with my improved casting and patience when I did send a bad one into a tree. And I did it in an area, which although holds a lot of fish, is heavily pressured too. Finally took a fish on top! This fly fishing thing is fun!

Congrats, it seems you're getting a handle on it quite nicely. I try to never pass up spots against the bank like that, good job on seeing the potential there. A pleasant evening indeed...

Good stuff laurelrun.

The trout in that section of Breeches aren't pushovers. As Lv2nymph pointed out, browns are often right up against the banks this time of year. They can be hard to present to due to tall grass or overhanging cover along the shore. However, those fish close to the bank are often catchable and are usually on the lookout for bugs like ants.

Laurel, sounds like you are having a great time. Great report. Seems like you have come a good distance since the newbie jam. Good for you. Keep up the reports.

GenCon

Back