Getting Started in Tying

L_soult

L_soult

I was fortunate enough to tie a fly at the newbie jam under the guidance of Delta Dog. I really enjoyed it.

A used tying bench and tools fell in my lap a few weeks ago. After reading about tying for a while, I finally went down to the local fly shop and bought some materials. Wooley Bugger stuff of course. The first tie was frustrating but turned out okay. The next 5 or so got better.

When I was done my daughter wanted to give it a shot. She came up with a "humming bird" fly and we both had a bast while she tied it.

Attachments

• IMG_20130427_212254.jpg
    IMG_20130427_212254.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20130427_212421.jpg
    IMG_20130427_212421.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20130427_212454.jpg
    IMG_20130427_212454.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20130427_212534.jpg
    IMG_20130427_212534.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20130427_212616.jpg
    IMG_20130427_212616.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20130427_212640.jpg
    IMG_20130427_212640.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 2
Very cool, good tying to you and your daughter. Nice first fly your tying bud came up with. :)

Nice guy. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

That's great. Looks like a really good time.

Man your daughter looks a lot like her uncle! Fun stuff.

Nice job getting the daughter involved!

I help teach a class with the local TU chapter. What I have noticed over the years is the young girls are usually the best students. They usually pic up the techniques very quickly and are able to tie nice, well proportioned flies.

Good luck, Tony

Good stuff man!!!

just wait till you catch one on a fly you,or your daughter tye!!

Made my day! Oh! Hug your daughter fir me, she's a cutie, (my wife). She is though. :)

Rolf wrote:
Made my day! Oh! Hug your daughter fir me, she's a cutie, (my wife). She is though. :)

That confused me at first and I became concerned. Then I realized it was you wife who typed that. :)

Pulse that "Hummingbird Fly" across the surface of a good pool near a large trout lie after dark and see if anything finds it tasty!

It kind of reminds me of a mouse...

It is fantastic to see you involving your daughter in your new hobby. I have done a little tying lately and my kids enjoy fooling around too. My son Adam "invented" a green weenie improvement called the "Adam Special" which is a green weenie with a brown hackle feather wound between the wraps of Chenile. I took him out to the West Branch of the Octarora to teach him about fly fishing and I was showing him how to dead drift in a slow pool under the bridge. On the very first cast a stockie rainbow came out of his lie and slammed it. What fun! Adam was so excited that the fly he invented caught a fish on its very first trial!

Peace.

I love the look of determined concentration in the 4th picture!
Your a lucky guy, and she is clearly lucky to have you as her Dad.

Welcome to fly tying and to be able to do it with your child will make the journey so much more enjoyable. Hey DDog look at what you passed on!

I have 2 daughters of my own and they have both tied flies with me but the real thrill is getting them out on the water and letting them catch a few on flies that they tied......great way to spend some real good times with them.........way to go l-soult you will never regret it.

Back