Getting ready for the new year

captbugger

captbugger

A new year a fresh start. What is everyone's goals for this new year with concerning fly fishing?????
Mine is to teach my daughter how to cast.

I have a few. Catch more fish and learn to tie more patterns, as always. I have had some very good days this year, but I have had a few days with only a few fish.

I want to get the girlfriend more into fly fishing and teach her to cast, and then let her decide which she prefers.

I want to target at least one new species next year.

I have four fiberglass rods to build. Ranging from 6'8" 3wt to 8'0" 5wt

My goal is to fish all 365 days of 2016 instead of averaging the mere 300 days in a year that I usually do....

jifigz wrote:
My goal is to fish all 365 days of 2016 instead of averaging the mere 300 days in a year that I usually do....

A mere 300 days a year?
That's something I could only dream about now.
Maybe when I retire though

Tying and fishing more dry flies, not to mention investing more in to some quality capes and saddles.
This year, like last, I'd also like to spend more time fishing new waters (limestoners) and try to finally hit the Green Drake hatch.
Lastly, a trip to Montana and Mossy Creek Va.

Tie more flies over the winter season especially small sizes (20-26). I stopped by Blue Heron today in Milton and picked up four packs of Orvis Big-Eye dry fly hooks in sizes 18,20 and 22. I already have 24 and 26 on hand.

Mine is to have J.M. Boswell build me a fisherman's pipe, and when I pick it up from his shop, I will break it in by fishing Falling Springs.

Low expectations.

First goal is to teach my girlfriend how to fish. I brought her fishing because she wanted to just watch this fall, and all she would do is flip rocks and play with golden stonefly nymphs. Lmao. Now she wants to learn to fish. Second is to fish the drake hatch up on the Delaware. And third, to fish more streamers and wets.

Sasquatch I grew up at the Boswell matter fact I made my first pipe at the shop J.M. Taught me a lot about the wood he uses. His son Danny makes the best pipe blends

Just went there for the firs time yesterday and I was blown away. Bought my first Boswell, JM showed me around his top room, got to talk the history of pipe smoking, etc., and he was constantly fillin' up my bowl. The Bear...I gotta get several ounces of that stuff. Don't usually go for latakia blends, but man that stuff was amazing.

You build pipes? Let's see some!

Do an overnight camping and fishing trip

Catch something over 24" on the fly. Striper or catfish are likely candidates.

Return to the salt. Didn't get to fly fish saltwater this year.

Travel more!

Best experience in 2015 was fishing with grandkids. My daughter even caught her first fish. Couldn't get her off the stream after that. I always thought fishing had an addicting quality. It's like whatever we catch is not enough and we can't wait to feel that unmistakable tug again. I hope to accumulate memories of more great times in 2016.

InCahoots wrote:
Best experience in 2015 was fishing with grandkids. My daughter even caught her first fish. Couldn't get her off the stream after that. I always thought fishing had an addicting quality. It's like whatever we catch is not enough and we can't wait to feel that unmistakable tug again. I hope to accumulate memories of more great times in 2016.

Gil, have not seen you in a while. Would love to have you tie a fly with us at the tying jam.

GenCon

Sure thing Mike. Maybe a wet fly, I 'm thinking Red Quill. Always a great event. Looking forward to it.

Back