gearin up for first salmon/ steelhead trip

B

BigRedChevy11

Alright its been a busy busy last couple months but im back in fishing mode.

next week ill be going to visit a friend in pulaski on the salmon river lookin for steelhead and maybe a few leftover salmon.

i have most of the gear needed but im looking for a few free tips that will come in hand on the water.

What is the must have gear that a newbe forgets?

Any secret flies or lures that may come in hand?

Right now I have a standard 8wt preception line down to 12lb tipit. I wanted to pick up a versaleader or skagit head. Is that necessary?

Again any tips and tricks are helpful!

lots and lots and lots of split shot.

lots and lots and lots of flies in lots of colors.

You will go through a lot of both.

A $5 fly line works for steelie fishing. Take that nice line off and save it for spring so you don't step on it by accident.

Items needed:
Warm clothing
Rain jacket
Thick skin
Camera
Estaz eggs
Glo bugs
UV stones (purple seems to work well)
Big prince nymphs, big stones in black
Glo bugs
Beads
Toothpicks
Tons split shot (the sell the tin stuff up there)
NY license
Big azz net
Willingness to make 2000 cast w/o a hook up
Track shoes to chase your first hook up
2-3x flouro tippet
Swivels
READ REGS TO AVOID FINES and have fun

You can go up to the dam / ladder and look at the mud sharks but to avoid crowds, go for steelies. You'll know where the salmon are....just look for 100 guys in one hole. Keep an eye on flows as that river can be a beast to wade. Check w/ Whittakers and Fat Nancy's for reports. They open at 3-4am so stop in and load up.

Hey thanks!

For the splitshot can I use several small ones or is one larger one best? Can I use the standard lead ball splitshot left from old grandpa or do I need to buy more one the oval green kind I use for trout?

Ill look into those few patterns krafish thanks!

For line; if I buy a cheap fly line should I overline to a 9wt for my 8wt rod? I usually have trouble throwing weight with my preception line. That is why I was considering a skagit head...

thanks for the tips!!

If the water is reasonable levels and you have some 'fightin skill', you can use a 6 wt. Hooked 2 for the nephew (first timer) last year and he was 50% landing them on 6 wt. 7wt is pretty standard, 8 is a little heavy and 9 wt is overkill for most steelhead. Just my opinion. Fresh salmon are a different story. A foul hooked one can easily snap an 8wt but most of what you'll see are half rotted swimming zombies. They'll fight a little harder than an old boot but it's pulling their weight that stresses the gear. The water should be warm enough that a 12# chromer will go ape when hooked. DON'T GRAB THE REEL HANDLE WHEN THEY TAKE OFF.

Weights? I used ol water gremlins. Play around and find what YOU like. I forgot to mention thingamabobbers. What some stuff on YouTube for 90 degree indi rigs, "pegging beads", etc.

The most important item is STUDDED boots,do not wade or think about crossing without them.
Overweight your line to your rod,I use a 10 wt line on my 8 wt 11' switch.
The water is running at 350 now and without heavy rain that will continue.This is a moderate flow and very fishable.
You really don't need a lot of weight if you understand mending your line,the Steel are very aggressive and will hit flies mid column.
Small nympths 10-12-14 in dark colors have been very good on 6# flora tippet.You can also swing streamers for some jarring hits.Now that the SAlmon are finally spawning egg imitations in size 12-14 should be good.
I hope your friend is a fisherman as a first trip to that river could be a real learning experience.I have 30 yrs experience and still learn something new every year.

My friend has lived there going on 4 years now. He goes out a couple time a week from what he tells me.

He uses spinning gear allot. Im bringing my spinning gear too but I got hooked on fly fishing smallies this year so I prefer my 8wt.

Ill be borrowing my brothers hip waders for this trip. I dont tjink they are studded... I have them gumband things with metal springs on them I use for ice fishin... is that ok??

I'm not familiar with the gumband things but take them and try them,if they are unsuitable you can always take them off.With hip waders you are not going to get in too deep so you should be okay.Just bewarned the SR is loaded with very slippery rocks and you could take a spill at any depth,so be carefull out there and I hope you play with a silver rocket or two.

To get to many of the less crowded spots, you must hike a little and cross side channels. Some of the channels are qite small in width but go over my waist. I think hip boots will severely limit where you can fish but not stop you from fishing completely. As mentioned, you can go for a swim in ankle deep water if you're not careful. Respect the river and you'll be ok. I took a 14 yr old up there last year when it was 1200 cfs at Pineville and he made it home alive. He struggled to get around but caught one.

If by chance you tangle with some chromers, you won't soon forget it.

I was mistaken when I said hip waders. I ment chest waders. Hes taller than me too so the top comes about 4" below my chin lol.
I dont mind early morning walks to get away from people. I think that will be the approach we take saturday and sunday.

Back