gear to fish from the beach

S

steve98

What would be a good all around set up to fly fish the NJ beaches

i.e. Rod , lenght and weight, Line, floating ,sinking , intermediate etc.

Basic flys to tie

Looking to try and hook up stripers, blue, weakfish or just about any thing that would be willing to take a fly in the surf.

leader information would also be helpful

Thanx
Steve 98

If limited to one fly rod for the NJ shore I'd vote for a 10WT. Lots of guys like 9WTs but in my view I'd rather have an 11 than a 9. To be sure, I fish a lot of big flies in rough water on windy days. There are a lot of guys who swear by 9WTs and you'll even see some guys out on the jetties during the milder months from May to Sept fishing with 8WTs but I strongly recommend you leave your 8 at home during the fall run. You're likely to be way under-gunned and wind up with a busted rod.
Most of my surf fishing is with a fast sink shooting head and a variety of streamer flies. For this set-up my leader consists of about 3' of 40lb, 2' of 20lb for class tippet, then 1' of 40lb for shock tippet. A 5-6' leader is all you need for fast sinking lines in the surf.

I'd say one if the most important things is to get a cheap pair of water shoes that fit over your neoprene. Wading boots fill up with sand quickly and get heavy...and with some luck, you will have to move quickly when the fish start blitzing.
Also a stripping basket and get used to the two hand retrieve.

wear low flats booties over the waders even better than wading shoes. I wear mine in the warm months to to protect my feet from sharp objects, shells, glass, needles, etc..I have even worn them on the jetty with a pair of korkers. shooting basket is a must have.

flies clousers, deceivers, bobs bangers is the 3 i would not be with out. colors black, chartreuse, white, orange, blue, olive backed.
silver flash of some sorts as well.

weakies like yellow, pink,combos.

Back