Gear forgotten and renewed.

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

The stuff you can accumulate and forget about over the years can be mind boggling.

The other day while digging through all my old stuff, I can across a tupaware container that has a vintage fly reel in it. I remember buying it at a flea market 15 years ir so ago for 15 bucks. The reel itself is in great shape and works. However it is completely void of paint. I think someone stripped it down to restore it.

Come to find out it's a rare and scarce fly reel. A Shakespeare Burdick 1886 model HF only produced from 1935 to the war. I'm currently in process of doing a 75 percent restoration in it.

I had completely forgotten about it. What a find.
Beautiful reel. Bet it will look sweet on my Cummings rods.

I usually don't like to show my work before its done but i demasked and lightly assembled for some photos. There are some slight imperfections as you can see but ill remask and a few light coats will fix all that. I'm also considering a light clear coat for protection too.

Normally I'am not for painting vintage reels. You really got to know what you are doing and most people are better off just leaving it alone. I worked in metallurgy and paint for years. I refreshed up on some reading before I started. One of my main things I m a stickler about is multiple multiple very light coats, every 10 mins up to 1 hour. Then you have to wait one week. This reel actually has 5 coats of primer and 5 coats of paint.

Hope you enjoy the pics! I'm happy with the round 1, round 2 will fix her completely.
Very pretty reel.

26778586479_5fbbed07fb_b.jpg

26778848329_08536ab815_b.jpg

37838298734_04aee3ff65_b.jpg

26778787479_63f8fa15f5_b.jpg

37838306894_807a52b426_b.jpg

38498836146_4e57390181_b.jpg

The reel earned its wear but I felt like this beauty deserved to come back to life. Ill post more pics later when complete.

Btw, I haggled with this guy for 4 weeks at Green Dragon every Friday until he came down from 20 dollars :lol:
:-D

I love old things. Nice reel and nice paint job.

That does look good.

Anyone would be proud of that job. NICE!!!!!!!!!!

Very nice. I'll give you $30 for it. ;-)

Seriously though, you inspired me to go through all my junk boxes over the Holidays.

Back