Gauges and other Susquehanna info

I

Ichthus

Got a great surprise a few weeks ago when my wife brought home a Jackson Big Tuna kayak for me as a surprise. Now that the water levels are coming down I'm looking forward to trying it out a little bit more. I'm relatively new to kayak fishing. I have never been out to the Susquehanna on a kayak or even wading. I've mostly fished small streams and floated the Conestoga but I am ready to explore the big river.

I'm wondering if anybody can give me any information on how to read and monitor the gauges for good and safe fishing. I am looking to start in the Marietta, Wrightsville area but I will eventually explore other areas as well.

Also, are there any areas that are better than others for being able to paddle out and back to the same launch as opposed to doing a float. I hear this is possible sometimes at certain levels from Wrightsville up to Marietta. Anybody know what levels I should be looking for to be able to paddle against the current?

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Thanks so much.

I prefer the Susquehanna be under 4 feet at the Harrisburg gage for both wading and kayaking. Most PFBC access sites are suitable for upriver paddling at this level, although some will be a real workout. The imponded sections below Harrisburg are generally a bit easier in this regard.

Enjoy your new yak, you're in for a lot of fun (don't forget your PFD).

What a great surprise! I am absolutely no help when it comes that river, I’ve never fished it. But I’ve always wanted a kayak for targeting bass.

Watch out on the impounded sections on windy days. Ocean size waves are possible on Conowingo at the pa/md border where there is a very long fetch. The other impoundments can put up some sizable white-caps in a hurry, even as a thunderstorm approaches. So, if wind is predicted for the afternoon, don't paddle across in late morning and then get stuck on the other side.

Ichthus -

I live in Marietta and kayak/wade the river quite a lot (when the levels are good). 4 feet is a good indicator to look for at Harrisburg for wading/floating. For straight floating (meaning going down river, not paddling up), it can be done in high water. Sometimes it's actually easier when the river is a bit up since the rocks are submerged. The Marietta level is at 36 feet right now. That's a solid level to float from/around there.

If you ever want to get out or need help finding good floats, hit me up.

-Michael

Thanks for the good information everyone.

Michael, thanks for the offer. I might take you up on that sometime. I'll pm if I'm looking for some advice. I appreciate it.

Back