Gasland

gfen

gfen

Does not win the Best Documentry Acadamy Award.

gfen, at an oscars party and still sober.

For those who have not seem Gasland and gave Netflix, it's there.

It's on youtube full version also his debut was in Pittsburgh that's on there too along with many and much on the marcellus shale project and i must add that Fox the filmaker has stated numerous times that it will take civil disobedience to win this one. Is it time to rock n roll?

This is a much better documentary that everyone should watch. It's much more informative and a completely different side of the story. A side in which many people agree with...and yes it includes Dimock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u93ExpRh148

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orSFFyyBd8E&feature=related

Meanwhile the star - Chesapeake - of that previous vid has moved on. My how things have changed.

http://www.energybulletin.net/stories/2011-02-27/when-believers-stop-believing-chesapeake-dumps-shale-gas-assets

vcregular wrote:
Meanwhile the star - Chesapeake - of that previous vid has moved on. My how things have changed.

http://www.energybulletin.net/stories/2011-02-27/when-believers-stop-believing-chesapeake-dumps-shale-gas-assets

Wow. That's pretty interesting.

"Since the crash in late 2008, natural gas prices have been mired in the $3 to $4 range, not high enough to justify the high costs associated with most shale gas drilling. And that means, of course, that natural gas drilling is taking place only in those spots which are deemed easy enough and cheap enough to exploit profitably at these prices. "

"So poor is the natural gas business now that McClendon has decided to sell off a good portion of Chesapeake's shale gas assets in order to concentrate on oil trapped in shale. Why? Because the price of oil is so much higher relative to natural gas, proving that price is the key driver in exploiting hard-to-get hydrocarbon resources."

I mean even a couple of months ago Chesapeake was the representative of choice in the insurance related MS drilling panels I attended.

Edit: Meh. The part of the story I quoted above is misleading. Natural gas wellhead price has been relatively stable. There were a couple of quick peaks for a month or two in 2008, but overall it has been between $4-6 since 2004.

jdaddy.......interesting to say the least. Got a Q..........do the companies insure against potential environmental accidents? In other words , do they have liability insurance for accidents? Like homeowners , since every home is different they go case by case is it the same for wells since no two are different? This is an interesting side issue of the Marcellus Project.

midgeman, nice link. That is a much better overall view of whats going on than Gasland.

It really is Pcray. Of course there is nothing completely safe when it comes to resource engineering. However, shale drilling won't have the devistating effects as coal mining. There will be consequences that will effect all of us as anglers and citizens in the future. We all know this fact well and it is unfortunate. But I'm a supporter for drilling in OUR country. My reasons why will be kept to myself.

I'm a supporter as well. While I agree this is nowhere near coal mining, I will say that due to modern media and better monitoring, the consequences will be more known and argued about. For instance, regarding the radioactive waste, its a real concern that deserves looking at. Yes, the article was a little misleading and overblown, nonetheless it isn't a bad thing. It'll either end up with a little more testing to prove there isn't a problem, or show that there is and require a solution. In coal, I'm quite positive the same thing happened 1000x worse, we all drank the water and never even knew.

While even in a worst case scenario, it doesn't approach coal, I still think the range of potential damages is large. i.e. we can do it with relatively minor environmental damage, or fairly significant real damage. In either scenario, or anything in between, the public response will be the same "the sky is falling" mantra.

I don't dislike the intense criticism, though. It can be useful to minimize damage. My complaints so far are that much of the criticism is misplaced, focusing on non-issues while ignoring the important stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_t4NsXgnmw&feature=related

osprey wrote:
jdaddy.......interesting to say the least. Got a Q..........do the companies insure against potential environmental accidents? In other words , do they have liability insurance for accidents? Like homeowners , since every home is different they go case by case is it the same for wells since no two are different? This is an interesting side issue of the Marcellus Project.

In these seminars we do not address the environmental liability of the drilling companies. I assume they have proper risk financing mechanisms in place. I can't imagine publicly traded companies not having those in place given the somewhat hazardous activity they undertake. I am not sure if there is a requirement by any state regulation (I'm dreaming right?) to have proper environmental and pollution liability insurance and risk management in place. The would have a blanket style insurance/risk financing plan in place for all activities versus individual sites.

One thing we have discussed in these panels is folks blindly signing contracts for drilling on their property without requiring a single form/proof of insurance. I would require a certificate of insurance with my interest listed as an additional insured. I mean the activities you allow and profit from certainly hold you fiscally accountable for damages from those actives.

I'm NOT a supporter of drilling , we should be concentrating on alternative energy sources to get out from under the strangle hold that the oil producing countries have on us. I never thought i'd say this but i'd rather see sane application of nuclear technology than drilling the planet full of holes. As long as our society is based on petroleum we are stuck , if we can break that hold , we done made it. I'm NOT talking out my azz when i speak of using hemp as a base energy source the facts are there do some research. We were going down that path until special interests in high places felt their investments were threatened and pulled the plug on hemp. Renewable , sustainable , cleaner , environmental friendly , energy source that WAS where we were heading until greed got in the way. "For the healing of a nation" Bob Marley

One thing we have discussed in these panels is folks blindly signing contracts for drilling on their property without requiring a single form/proof of insurance. I would require a certificate of insurance with my interest listed as an additional insured. I mean the activities you allow and profit from certainly hold you fiscally accountable for damages from those actives.

yes yes yes yes!! I agree!!! everyone involved, from the drillers to the landowners, must be accountable for anything that results from their actions. what happens when their neighbors well gets contaminated and they still get a fat check every month? laws need to be put in place regarding this.
in my trade, I'm held accountable, I have insurance, I'm responsible for any damages that result from my work. I would hope the same holds true for gas drilling companies.
I've talked to numerous lease holders that were told by the gas companies, "don't worry, you don't need a lawyer"
wouldn't THAT be the first sign that you in fact DO need a lawyer!!??

With things the way they are , overall , you can't expect folks , especially poor folks who are not entirely informed to NOT sign leases. If they were made aware before hand that if anything goes wrong there is liability on their part it might make them slow down and take a longer look but they are pounded by the greedy ones who know they have them where they want them. It's like "don't worry , be happy" while they drill the planet full of holes. Lawyers while necessary are from history NOT the answer to most things. From my own observations and experiences lawyers tend to come up with solutions that both sides of an issue HATE. The parties involved in a dispute are more likely to embrace a solution that was worked out by THEMSELVES as opposed to having a legal third party come up with a solution for them. The ability to navigate through the quagmire of beauraucracy , usually created by lawyers , on purpose i think , is what most common folk have trouble with. They justify their existence by making it almost impossible for a common citizen to even understand what the agreement says. Have any of you , that aren't lawyers , ever tried to read and understand your homeowners policy? I tried , gave up , i gotta have it , i have it. understanding what it says is something i'd need help with.

Gasland related news.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/03/gasland_property_owner_cited_f.html

Interesting. I'm sure if it was any other "John Q. 6-pack" burning out here in Damascus Twp/Milanville, PA the DEP would have ignored it. But the whole family is famous now because of the movie. However, I'd say 40% of Northern Wayne County is a bit upset. They wanted the drilling to take place, to get the $$$ and the possible royalties associated with the drilling. I'm sure the citation was just a way to enact some type of so-called revenge.

oh yeah, I'm sure he is some kind of "list"!

Back