Gartside's Gurgler Variation

T

tctrout

Here's a version of the Gartside Gurgler that's been productive for me over the years. I'd love to hear some of your variations to this pattern, too, as I'm sure there are many!

Tim

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaIlJgwmHug[/youtube]

I LOVE THIS FLY. I USE IT ALL THE TIME. FARM POND BASS SMALLIES POUND IT. I TIE MINE IN TAN FOAM WITH JUST OVERSIZED GRIZZLEY HACKLE ON THE UNDERSIDE AND THE PEARL FLASH FOR THE TAIL (JUST MORE OF IT). WORKED WELL ENOUGH I NEVER TIED ANY OTHER VARIATION.

Glad to know it's not just me!

tomgamber wrote:
I LOVE THIS FLY. I USE IT ALL THE TIME. FARM POND BASS SMALLIES POUND IT. I TIE MINE IN TAN FOAM WITH JUST OVERSIZED GRIZZLEY HACKLE ON THE UNDERSIDE AND THE PEARL FLASH FOR THE TAIL (JUST MORE OF IT). WORKED WELL ENOUGH I NEVER TIED ANY OTHER VARIATION.

The gurgler is hands down the best topwater fly for warm water fishing. I give it this lofty mantle because it's effective, easy and quick to tie and it's cheap to tie. I've also found there is absolutely no reason to go all goofy with the enhancements and materials. It just works wether tied simple or elaborate.

The only thing I do is I tie a second smaller piece of foam in at the head tie point to stiffen the head a bit. I fish it like a popper and don't like the head being pushed back by the water. I don't even know if this is an enhancement or how the original is tied but I do this on every gurgler.

poopdeck wrote:
The gurgler is hands down the best topwater fly for warm water fishing. I give it this lofty mantle because it's effective, easy and quick to tie and it's cheap to tie. I've also found there is absolutely no reason to go all goofy with the enhancements and materials. It just works wether tied simple or elaborate.

The only thing I do is I tie a second smaller piece of foam in at the head tie point to stiffen the head a bit. I fish it like a popper and don't like the head being pushed back by the water. I don't even know if this is an enhancement or how the original is tied but I do this on every gurgler.

I tie mine in and double it back over. so the front of the lip is rounded. But yes, the stiffer upper lip :lol: works better either way you tie it.

Here's the original Gurgler, as tied by Jack Gartside...

http://www.jackgartside.com/step_gurgler.htm

poopdeck wrote:

I have taken to piercing the foam with the hook,so that when I tye down the body segments,the seam is on top.

I also double the lip back so that it is wing length.

Sometimes I use two pieces of foam for color variation.

I tie bucktail tail, chenille underbody, big long webby hackle legs, and doubled over foam body. The only topwater/surface fly I use for smallmouths, largemouths, redbreasts, bluegills, etc. I'm even going to try them for browns at night some time.

I'll ty some with a spun deer hair under body as well

Back