Garmin BaseCamp

Mariner

Mariner

I've been asleep at the technology wheel for a while and woke up to find Garmin has some free software called Basecamp. I've got a 10-year-old GPS and I realized I'd lose some sleep if it died and I lost all my waypoints.

So, it turns out you can just upload them, and download them onto your next device. Pretty sweet.

Base Camp replaced Map Source years ago so the ability to organize and store your waypoints, tracks, routes, POI's, etc in a PC versus the device has been an option for as along as I can remember.

I have all of my GPS waypoints organized by region in my PC and load them and other stuff into my unit(s) prior to a trip to reduce clutter in the device. In other words, why have waypoints for Southcentral PA in my device when I am fishing in the Poconos?

Besides the obvious of having a back-up, using Base Camp allows you the option (if you have a GPS that can be used for navigation) to create your OWN routes to and from a destination versus letting the GPS route you.

I can tell you from experience the GPS route is often NOT the way I want to go. For that reason I can't be bothered with a built in navigation system.

When I'm driving, I use my Nuvi and go the way I want to.

Back