Garage Sale Reels- Help me switch the retrieve!

Gorosaurus

Gorosaurus

Hey guys, I got a lot of FF stuff at a garage sale last Saturday. Pretty sure I got a great haul, but I don't really know what all I've got.

FishingGear2.jpg

For less than 250 bucks there's three rods: Orvis PowerMatrix 9' 6wt, Orvis T3 9' 8wt, and Fenwick HMG 9' 7wt.
FishingGear3.jpg

Two reels: Orvis DXR 7/8, and Orvis DXR 5/6
FishingGear1.jpg

and two 'vests': Willis & Geiger vest, and FishPond San Juan Chestpack

Essentially I didn't need any of this gear, I just wanted to expand my collection. I know that I wanted an 8 or 9 wt rod at some point so that I am better able to do lake/surf/steelhead fishing if any of those ever materialize as trips (none planned!). I've been very happy with my 5 wt TFO Lefy Krey Finesse, and, if anything, I probably need a lighter rod for the type of fishing I usually do.

BUT ANYHOW, I tested out the reels and two of the rods that same day and found that they are probably left-hand retrieves. I have to spin the reel backwards to wind the line back on it. After scouring the internet, apparently one DXR is made by Lamson and the other by Ross, but no manuals or directions were available online or at Orvis's web site.

As a true beginner, I thought I'd get real sneaky and unspool each reel and re-spool them, but wound the opposite way that they were. 2 hours (and learning that the 7/8 had a few miles more backing than the 5/6..) later I had unspooled both, respooled them backwards, realized that was a terrible mistake, and unspooled and respooled them properly- all with line strewn about the room.

I have never switched the retrieve on a reel before, so I can't immediately tell how on these products. I feel like a real dope after wasting so much time already. Does anyone have an idea how to switch these around? If not... left handed reels for sale!!

FishingGear4.jpg

It's different depending on the reel, but usually pretty simple. You might just have to take that center gear off, flip it over, and put it on...

found this:
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/247281-orvis-dxr-question.html

PS definitely a good haul...

Unscrew the triangular piece, pull it off and point it in the opposite direction, from what I can tell????

No, the pawls are strictly for sound.

Most times in an offset disc like that, you need to pull the gear on the spindle and flip it over and then replace it. The little C-clippy thing will slide off with a good pull.

The pawl and the offset gear/disc remain untouched.

They also have far more grease than needed. At most you want a thin coat, not globs of it.

My god, these reels are dripping with grease. It's awful!

Anyhow, for my efforts I tried playing around with things as I read them on the link David posted (thanks!). Goes without saying that I tried them in the order that thread provided (ending up flipping every piece in the reel by the end).

For others who find this thread through searching: gfen is correct. The giant gear in the middle comes out with proper force (no screws or anything). Just flip it and make sure it gets back in place properly.

While taking the reel apart, a ball bearing dropped out (!). Apparently that's a ball that helps the +/- indicator stay put. I put it back where I thought it goes and I think the reel is working properly now. HOWEVER, the line still spools from the top of the reel, so I went ahead and unspooled/respooled the entire thing AGAIN. Now I think it is working-- except now the drag doesn't change :\ I touched something I wasn't supposed to. I'm gonna open it up again and re-flip some of the things I flipped earlier and hope for the best.

Thanks for the info, guys!

-and that's how you learn about reels! I took it apart again and compared to other reels and basically learned what does what, why it's where it is, and how to fix it. Working fine! Gonna work on re-spooling the 7/8 now (that much backing takes FOREVER, but what a bonus if I ever need any of it..!) and I feel pretty good about being able to take apart most reels and have an idea about what I am doing!

It appears that the reel on the right is set up for right hand retrieve. See the "R" stamped on the center gear. If you pull the center gear off and flip it around the other side will probably have an "L", or it may have nothing but the "R" definitely stands for right hand retrieve. I can't see anything stamped on the other gear but it may be hidden by the center shaft.

Yeah my bad, not even close.

Why not just give Orvis a shout? I'm sure they'll be happy to help you out. Good Luck!

I'd go to a fly shop, preferribly Orvis and ask them to switch them, they still have to be rewound.

I'm sorry, what exactly changed the reel from LH retrieve to RH? Did flipping the center gear/shaft assembly do the trick?

Not being snarky, C-clippy thing is called an E-ring or retaining ring. Three lobs on Inside Diameter (ID) look like an "E". There are also C-rings, two lobs on ID. Do not ask me why either "E" or "C" is superior to the other.

gfen wrote:

No, the pawls are strictly for sound.

Most times in an offset disc like that, you need to pull the gear on the spindle and flip it over and then replace it. The little C-clippy thing will slide off with a good pull.

The pawl and the offset gear/disc remain untouched.

They also have far more grease than needed. At most you want a thin coat, not globs of it.

What Gary said (above) about the conversion - flip over the main gear on the spindle is 100% correct. And definitely wipe off most of the grease.

Yep, field tested and they work fine! Thanks guys!

Back