Gander returning to York !

krayfish2

krayfish2

Phone autocorrected "York" to "Work"

Gander Outdoors story.....

https://amp.ydr.com/amp/1006733001

Also, returning to Scranton (****son City) Feb 14th.

Chambersburg too. It wasn't my favorite place to shop but if I needed something quick, it was there.

bigslackwater wrote:
Chambersburg too. It wasn't my favorite place to shop but if I needed something quick, it was there.

Good to hear - I miss the GM in Chambersburg.

I thought I recall something about them "re-opening" or something but they've been shuttered for so long I had given up.

Apparently Niles (OH) will be re-opening, too.

Here is a link to a local article. Within that article is a link to a video which shows the list.

I didn't watch the whole thing, but it appears quite a few are re-opening. All should be opened by May.

Also returning to Muncy...I think the majority are returning.

here's the complete list
http://clark.com/shopping-retail/gander-mountain-stores-reopening-2018/

I heard the guy who owns Camping World, Marcus Lemonis, is re-opening many of the stores. At one time the York GM had a pretty good fly fishing department and little by little they almost entirely phased it out except for a couple Redington rods and cheap Okuma fly reels in favor of spinning and all sorts of crank baits and spinners. I hope they make FF a bigger part of the new business.

If you've ever watched the profit you know there won't be much fly fishing gear. Just not popular enough to devote valuable retail space.

ryansheehan wrote:
If you've ever watched the profit you know there won't be much fly fishing gear. Just not popular enough to devote valuable retail space.

I've never been to a Gander Mtn but I agree totally. We fly fishers are more likely to internet shop or go to a specialized store than to try to find what we want at local big box stores. Fly fishing gear just isn't going to bring the revenue like shelf space to other goods. That said, all stores should at least have a few basic rods, reels, and completed flies etc to maybe encourage someone new to take up the sport.

Our Gander mtn had enough stuff that if you were about to head out and realized you were out of ?X tippet or you needed a leader or boot laces or realized it was January and you didn't buy your license yet or were tying and ran out of a certain material you could hit the store quickly and resolve the problem now. (Yes, I've done all of these..) We have NO fly shops any longer in Greensburg. I'm glad they'll reopen. We'll see how much fly fishing stuff this "new" one will have. It's also better than another empty building no matter what you do in your free time.

I can drive 35 minutes to the TCO store in Boiling Springs if I need fly tying stuff or drive up to the Field & Stream store in Camp Hill which is only about 30 minutes away. The TCO store has just about everything a fly tier could possibly need or want.

I used to shop at Gander in York occassionally. Used to be able to pick up bass poppers there for about 2 for like $5.50 Went there the other year and it went up to almost $7 for just one (1) popper. That was when I started making my own. Then this past summer the had their close out sale. Whole store was advertised at 50-70 percent off and I still found some of their stuff was overpriced. Kind of rediculous.

Not sure how excited I am that they're coming back but I'm sure I'll go there out of convenience. I snagged some muzzleloading and archery stuff before they closed and almost picked up some Okuma reels but they closed before I thought they were going to.

Gander reopened here in Michigan--the only difference I have noticed is they changed their name to Gander Outdoors- very little fly stuff- other tackle is about the same- but phased out most bass lure companies and going with Rapala [sp.] primarily-why-simple-profit-watch out for that brand,lures tend to be lighter than labeled-1/8 tends to run 1/16 etc..cheaper than bass pro but who ain't ? Walmart carries a lot of the R brand-why-profit...Finland company but made in Estonia by slave labor[TIC].

Pete wrote;

..cheaper than bass pro but who ain't ?

Boy, isn't that the truth! I never bought that much fly tying material up there but about a year ago I wanted to tie something and didn't want to wait for it to arrive in the mail so went and spent about $50. Later I compared the Bass Pro items with other fly shops and the BP prices were as much as 30% more than other fly shops.

Back