Gander Mountain Harrisburg Closing

robkonowitch

robkonowitch

Not that they have a great deal of fly fishing stuff but... Gander Mountain in Harrisburg is closing and everything is on sale. I was just there today and it was nuts

Probably can't compete with BPS. the good news is Gander Mountian is opening in warminister in a couple months. If your from this area you know we could really use an outdoor store. Your right though their fly fishing section is just about worthless.

The GannderMt in Greensburg actually has a pretty decent fly section, especially for tying. Glad to hear another one is being built.

F & S also recently opened on the West Shore, so I'm sure that ate into their business a bit. I wonder how long the Gander Mountain in York will be around since their location has just about zero visibility...

I noted on the thread about Bass Pro possibly acquiring Cabelas that I did not think some areas could sustain as many big box outdoorsy stores as some regions have. I know firms specialize in doing demographic analysis when planning on where to site a store, but I think we're approaching saturation in Central PA, without taking the whole availability of goods on the Internet into account.

Agreed on the saturation of the big outdoors stores in Central PA. I would love to see more small "specialized" stores spread throughout more communities but we all know the challenges that they face. I have never been in Gander Mtn and I have never heard good things either.

They always had fly stuff cheap... but not much of a selection

I have a $100 gift card and its been hard to find ff items to spend it on.

Not too surprising to hear - that is my least favorite store in the area.

With Cabela's less than an hour away, and as another poster said, Field and Stream opening up 15 minutes away and a large BPS, not much left for them.

i have purchased a few things from them, but it was readily apparent that their level of inventory kept dropping. Never purchased any FF stuff - honestly didn't know they even carried anything.

When I first started tying my local gander mountain was in the process of downsizing their fly tying section. They had Keough tiers grade capes of multiple colors on sale for 20 dollars a piece! I honestly had no clue what a deal that was at the time or I would have stocked up . I did buy one of each so I got a great bunch of capes to get started with but man I wish I would have cleaned out the shelf.

Ugh Bummer! I used to visit there every time I went to Harrisburg on Business. They always carried a few things that the other places really didn't. I liked not having to order the stuff on line. Oddly enough that had really great sections for weird things like Hats, stuff for cooking game, and things like that. Wish they could have figured it out. Guess it will be back to the drawing board.

The Hbg. Gander Mt. is closing due to Giant which holds the lease, is opening a super store there. The new Field and Stream store has a pretty good fly fishing section, gear and tying material. Also looking forward to TCO opening this spring at the former YBO location in Boiling Springs. Roland who ran the YBO is working at the F&S store.

jifigz wrote:
Agreed on the saturation of the big outdoors stores in Central PA. I would love to see more small "specialized" stores spread throughout more communities .

Funny. That would have things coming full circle.

honestly I think there could easily be more stores.

Drove all over haides looking for stuff...nothings close (2+ hours any direction) of any store worth its salt.

Drove by boiling springs (fished as well), and saw the TCO store front..that will be nice for sure!

Gander Mountain is opening a new store in Warrington in September this year.

Back