Gallatin River

marcq

marcq

i heading up in a week. just trying to get some last minute info. ill be ten minutes form big sky most likely getting a guide for a day. does anyone have any local Knowledge of the river or the area.

Looks like you have some company.

After a town hall meeting on health-care reform in Belgrade, Montana, President Obama will escape to Big Sky country on Friday evening where he'll spend time with family and go fly-fishing for the first time.

The Gallatin is nice, but if you staying in Big Sky, don't miss out on fishing the Madison. Check with Blue Ribbon flies, a great shop in West Yellowstone, about where/how to fish.

http://www.blueribbonflies.com/

I would definitely send Flybop a PM for some info too. He is a first-class guide out there and will surely take care of you if you booked him.

You'll love it out there.......have a ball.

I'll second the flybop suggestion. I fished Montana with him in July and had a blast.

Small fish-but awesome scenery-
go over to Madison or Yellowstone
A few weeks too early so go high-towards the headwaters.
I assume you meant west gallatin-not east or main gallatin.
The west Gallatin isn't what it used to be down in the Gallatin Valley.
Irrigation drains too much.
35 years ago that was my favorite night fishing stretch-On Saturday nites I could hear the races at Belgrade speedway-If I told you how many fish I caught most nights you would think I was lying-.
The beaver would scare the hell out of me with tail slaps.
Upper west Gallatin is tourist water.Few locals take it seriously.
August can be the slowest month of the year in that area so consider RubY,Madison in the park-higher the better.

If you are still with us ,in good shape-and want to see some scenery you will remember for a lifetime-I can put you on two of the best in the west
1-starting from Big Sky-head north on 191-the road crosses a bridge just north of big sky-the river will be on the west side of the road-stay on 191 until until you cross another bridge-river on the east.-right at the bridge on the west side there is a parking lot-trail head there takes you up to a truly dramatic setting.Beautiful mountain lake surrounded by rugged cliffs.you will love it.
2- come back to the same bridge where the other trail head is-keep going north a few miles and there will be a fairly good parking lot on the left[west]-the trail head here takes you up to a mini wilderness.about a 15 mile hike to get back to 191-you can get maps in Bozeman or at big sky-this is a hike to treasure.
nothing as good in Yellowstone or any where else in the area.
At places you will get a distant view of Turners Flying D ranch-but the real fun is the ruggedness and feeling alone on the planet
both worth seeing.
Go early-day break is always more dramatic.
however-don't go alone as this is griz country-no snakes in those mountains
get a map
have good fitting hiking shoes.

thanks for all the info guys, it was a big help. the hike i could do i but i will also be with two others that might not be so ready. i would like fish the best fishing in the area. my cabin has the gallatin in the back yard so most of the fishing will be done there. the madison is another choice.

if your still here
oops-didn't mean to run down the upper west Gallatin-just being honest with you-you will probably catch a few more,slightly bigger fish than most Pa. streams but its not trophy trout water.
However you are close enough to run over the hill to the Madison drainage.This time of year you want to concentrate on waters above Hegben lake.Right around labor day the browns will start to move up stream.Early morning fishing[first light] with some woolly bugger size 4 or 6 in olive,black or dark brown working the holes on the creeks that run into the madison and the madison itself from park line to lake can yield some big ones but first come,first served-second through a hole is out of luck-
If you get the chance do the first hike-relatively easy and you won't find a more dramatic setting for a mountain lake anywhere.

In the spirit of a Monday work day....

Here are some pictures to share from the Gallatin River from August. Funny how a bad Sunday fishing is nothing compared to a Monday work day. My cubicle was like a veal pen to me. Somehow I think I take dozens of photos of an area and I get home and there is only 2-3 decent shots. That is a phemonema.

Attachments

• uppergal2.jpg
    uppergal2.jpg
    858.2 KB · Views: 1
  • uppergal3.jpg
    uppergal3.jpg
    796.7 KB · Views: 1
  • upperGallatin1.jpg
    upperGallatin1.jpg
    812.4 KB · Views: 3
  • uppergal4.jpg
    uppergal4.jpg