G Loomis Asquith/Sage X

I

ICM

Has any one tried out either or both of these rods in a 5 or 6wt.? How do they compare with each other and any of the other top ranked rods ( H2, Radian etc ) you may have cast?

I wasn't able to cast either but I did hold both of them at the same time and gave them a good wiggle. The Asquith is definitively the stiffer of the two rods. In my opinion, has a lot more backbone and a stiffer tip but not stiff by any stretch. The x has a much softer tip and didn't feel like it had as much backbone. The Asquith aesthetically is a beautiful rod. The reel seat is gorgeous. Both looked and felt nice but I was partial to the Asquith. It just felt better in my hand. Not sure why considering all I did was give them both a good shake but I felt like the Asquith was what I wanted to have.

Thought I might resurrect this thread. Recently, I had a chance to test cast my H2 9'5wt tip flex against the X, Asquith, and Douglas Sky, all lined with SA Mastery MPX. All had great feel and accuracy, but the Asquith and Sky were a bit stiffer while still maintaining a compliant tip, resulting in better distance with less effort. My ranking was 1A&B - Asquith/Sky; 3 - H2; 4 - X. If I had to choose between Asquith and Sky, it would be Asquith by a hair, but the Sky at $300 less is hard to beat. In retrospect, I think the X might have been better served by a longer - headed more true to weight line like Rio Gold rather than the 1/2 overweight MPX.

Back