FULLING MILL...hook comparison chart

One would assume you want to buy Fulling Mill hooks??

If so, what type of hook are you looking for?

Tho my tying experience is limited,
I like FM very much.

My goal is to easily access a Cross Reference Chart
if the company I am buying from does not have my #1or #2 choice in stock.

I know the shop staff is normally great at making alternate suggestions.
Just kind of like being able to fly with my own radar.

Tho my tying experience is limited,
I like FM very much.

My goal is to easily access a Cross Reference Chart
if the company I am buying from does not have my #1or #2 choice in stock.

I know the shop staff is normally great at making alternate suggestions.
Just kind of like being able to fly with my own radar.

Bruce:

I doubt you will easily find a cross reference chart that includes Fulling Mill (FM) or a lot of other obscure hook brands other than Daiichi, Tiemco, Orvis, Mustad because they are the biggest sellers.

I would suggest that instead you seek out description of Fulling Mill hooks and make the comparisons yourself and plug the FM hook numbers into charts you can easily find.

For example a FM1550 hook is described as:

Sproat bend, down eye, standard wire with bronze finish.
COINCIDENTALLY that's also the description of a Daiichi 1550...

The FM1180 is described as:

Round bend, down eye, standard wire with bronze finish.
COINCIDENTALLY that's also the description of a Daiichi 1550...

The FM1710 is described as:

Round bend, down eye, 2X long, bronzed.

COINCIDENTALLY that's also the description of a Daiichi 1710..

I think I'm beginning to see a pattern here... :unsure: but I think you get the idea...

It appears Fulling Mill is using Daiichi hook numbers for a lot of their fly hooks. If you do a comparison between the rest of the FM hook model numbers against Daiichi and look for Daiichi equivalents...

....in a short amount of time (and I already did three of them for you. ;)) you'll have the hook chart you are seeking.

Good luck!!

Tactical Fly Fisher has a chart. You may find info there. They measure the hooks they sell for comparison. Hope this helps

I don't use a lot of FM hooks but I do have some. For me, the conversion is a two-step process most of the time. The conversion chart here refs FM hooks:

The following link (same site, different page) has a smaller text version of a hook compare chart that refs a couple of different FM hooks not included in the more complete table linked above:

And from here, if I need to cross ref to another brand not included, I usually just poach the corresponding Daiichi, Mustad, or Dai-Riki number and use any one of the hundreds of conversion charts that always lists them.

FM hooks definitely seem to run at least a size large. You should be able to get a spec sheet from them either on their website or by contacting the company. Honestly they’re great hooks, I wouldn’t hesitate to just order a few sizes of jig force or others just to try.

Check out the work Devin Olsen has done at Tactical Fly Fisher
The Hook Problem

His site carries many Fulling Mill hooks as well as other brands. On the web page for each hook he gives measurements for each available size. See for example the page for the FM Jig Force 5045
FM 5045

I've been buying more often from his site in part because I appreciate the work he's done on this issue.

Back