Frustration in Phillipsburg

jeremymcon

jeremymcon

I found myself in Phillipsburg for a few hours today while my fiance was at a bridal shower for a friend of hers. I looked at my gps fishing guide, and there are several class a trout streams in the area, so I figured I'd get a couple hours of fishing in while she was busy. U fortunately, every class A in the area seems to be posted! An do can't dish approved trout waters since it's March! So I ended up at a taco bell browsing the forum instead.

I should have gone into Moshannon state park - there is a class A that runs through the park that I'm sure would have been accessible. Problem was that it was 25 minutes away, and after I figured out that all the closer class A's weren't accesible, I didn't have time to make it there.

Does anyone have experience with fishing in the Philipsburg area? If I ever find myself here again I'd like to know where I can actually fish.

There is a delayed harvest area on Black Moshannon Creek in the park that you can fish this time of year.

You can get state forest maps for free from DCNR. And the DeLorme Atlas shows public lands.

Go fish the streams on public lands. You know those are open.

Depends on how small you are willing to fish... Black Bear parallels Six Mile up toward the park. There is also a small class A that dumps into Cold Stream that isn't posted, as a matter of fact there is a dirt road that runs the whole length.

The bigger streams are all ATW though. My opinion is that if Cold Stream, and Six Mile weren't stocked they would be class A. Just my opinion though. In this area if they didn't stock those streams they (pfbc) would lose a lot of money. The first day of trout season around here is like a holiday. After the first day fishing pressure tails off pretty quickly.

Csoult,

the small class a you refer to is on game lands for its whole length, but you cant access it from route 350, only from 322. The game lands road becomes private down near the mouth.

There is game land parking where it dumps into cold stream, or there was when I was there last summer.

You might want to try fishing Cold Stream above the second reservoir. You can either walk in from the parking area at Glass City up the lower portion past both reservoirs or come in from the Tyrone Pike. The stream above the 2nd reservoir was not ever stocked when I lived in the area and it had lots of wild brook trout. I caught my first trout on a fly up there at a pool called the Box Mill (many, many years ago). Hard to tell if that pool is still there.

Yea I tried to get to black bear run but couldn't find an access point. Also it seemed like cold stream was all approved trout water, but maybe I missed a class a section.

Jeremy you can park right along 504, and walk in at the gate, walk down the stone access road for the reservoir, You are not allowed to fish from the downstream side of the bridge at 504 nor are you allowed to fish the reservoir, you can however access the stream from the spillway and downstream from there, the reservoir is Philipsburg's water supply so it is against the law or off limits to fish.
Be very careful if you try Glass City to get to cold stream, folks can sometimes be very intolerant to people who are not local. The lower end of coldstream has some fish some holdovers, some wild but at the end of the road or cul de sac it was posted. there is access on the upper end via a gameland off of rt350. again be mindful of posters.

I know this is an old Post, but is the road in question to the Philipsburg water supply "no fishing" or "no trespassing"?

Back