From Maine to PA

J

JefeVonJefe

Howdy all. Newbie to your forum.

Made the transition from SW Maine to Wellsboro just recently. Waiting for the heat to break to spend any time exploring local water. I do happen to have the West Branch of the Stony Fork literally running through my back yard, so that's a plus. Miles of water are right out of the door.

Curious if anyone here knew my mentor - Dave Baker (longtime member of MLFT). Learned casting, tying, and a little bit of patience from the old man when he was living in NH.

In a former life, I've guided in NH, CO, WY, WA and NC. Limited fishing in PA so far. I think my only time spent on the water here has been at the Delaware River Club during Get Trashed Events with Pig Farm Ink.

Jeff

Welcome, I happened to be in Wellsboro this morning (returning to Potter County from a trip to the Collins Hackle Farm up in NY state). Truly a beautiful part of the state, enjoy.

Welcome to the site from a born and bred central NYer. You'll see me hosting fly swaps on the site. Been tying for over 50 years and hosting swaps for the past 13+ years. I look forward to seeing your posts.

Kim

I knew Dave for years and I still see his buddy Sam.

Welcome aboard. GG

Welcome!
Where in ME are you from? I grew up in Kennebunk.

Hope to see you on the water someday.
Jim

Welcome!
Where in ME are you from? I grew up in Kennebunk.

Hope to see you on the water someday.
Jim
Thanks!

We recently lived in Auburn - so you can probably figure why we wanted to move!

I know a thing or two about Kennebunk - there’s a tidally influenced river where we’d put in the drift boat. Got some funny looks putting down the oars to cast for stripahs. 😂

Thanks!

We recently lived in Auburn - so you can probably figure why we wanted to move!

I know a thing or two about Kennebunk - there’s a tidally influenced river where we’d put in the drift boat. Got some funny looks putting down the oars to cast for stripahs. 😂
I completely understand the move and you will be much happier in PA.

Welcome
I lived in Southeast New Hampshire and worked in Biddeford, ME.
I do miss the salt.

Welcome aboard from southeastern PA! My wife and I venture up to Maine in the spring and fall most years. We start in “fake” Maine (Ogunwuit/Wells) for a day or two, then I fish GLS, East Outlet, Roach while she looks for moose. We thought we would like to retire up there someday, but we also love Central PA and up north in Wellsboro. I’ve been taking an annual trip with a bunch of buddies to Pine Creek above the canyon for 25 years now. Lots of fishing in the big creeks and little creeks around there. PA also has many more creeks and rivers that stay open all year, while many in Maine shut down. Enjoy PA!

What's wrong with Auburn? Not familiar.

Portland is one of my favorite cities on the East Coast. Seems pretty close.

Welcome aboard from southeastern PA! My wife and I venture up to Maine in the spring and fall most years. We start in “fake” Maine (Ogunwuit/Wells) for a day or two, then I fish GLS, East Outlet, Roach while she looks for moose. We thought we would like to retire up there someday, but we also love Central PA and up north in Wellsboro. I’ve been taking an annual trip with a bunch of buddies to Pine Creek above the canyon for 25 years now. Lots of fishing in the big creeks and little creeks around there. PA also has many more creeks and rivers that stay open all year, while many in Maine shut down. Enjoy PA!
I'm looking forward to fishing past that October cutoff. Fake Maine! ha!

What's wrong with Auburn? Not familiar.

Portland is one of my favorite cities on the East Coast. Seems pretty close.
Auburn was recently dubbed the rudest state in Maine. Also, it has a crime problem. Lewiston is across the river and is a real pit. It's nice to be away from it.

All of Maine has a big problem with cost of living - as does everywhere.

To live comfortable in Portland, one needs to bring home well over 100K a year. Can't compete with the flatlanders moving up there. It was time to go.

It's close enough to go home to see family as needed...

Back