From Behind Glass

NJTroutbum

NJTroutbum

May%2BHaystack%2BBrown%2B%25281%2529.jpg

An Excerpt from "Tomorrows Fish"
Written 12 years ago

This past Spring I had the opportunity to fish a piece of water that I had not been on in 19 years. While visiting the family home in Central Pennsylvania for my nephew’s graduation, I had come prepared to take advantage of expected good water as any fly fisherman would do in the month of May. I planned to fish the Twin Bridges section of Huntington Creek near the town of Stillwater. The stream is near where I grew up, and the last time I had fished that particular stretch was with my Dad in 1989 prior to his passing. I intended to get on the water early since the day’s events would consume my afternoon.
Arriving at the stream at 6:30am, I was surprised to find no other cars in the common parking area. It was a pleasant discovery to say the least. I had decided to fish a rod that I had built myself in the early 90’s. It’s a 7’ 3wt glass rod that I find hard to leave at home on days when I know that dries will be the order of the day. It’s built on a 2-piece Lamiglass Firecane blank, and an absolute joy to cast. This day however, I had 2 reasons to carry the glass rod. First, I had recently lined it with a new Sylk line from Cortland, which is supposed to be designed specifically for glass and bamboo rods. The line was intriguing to me and had not seen water yet. Secondly, because the slow casting action of the glass just seemed to fit what I was after that morning....

For the full blog,click on the link below:

From Behind Glass

Back