Frenchie Addicts

NewSal

NewSal

Any other frenchie addicts on here?

I prefer a 14, with a orange thread collar.

For whatever reason I've had plenty of success with the thread hotspot so I hardly fish a dubbed hot spot, although I have frenchies tied in orange thread collars, red thread, pink UV dubbing, orange tail tag, and "egan style" with red thread and uv pink dubbing.

So whats your favorite size / color combo?

Similar, but different. My addiction is the sexy walts worm. Man I have caught so many trout on them from size 14-18 tied on a jig its not even funny. Hairs ear plus dubbing, flashabou rib, and an orange collar. So simple. So deadly.

cms829 wrote:
Similar, but different. My addiction is the sexy walts worm. Man I have caught so many trout on them from size 14-18 tied on a jig its not even funny. Hairs ear plus dubbing, flashabou rib, and an orange collar. So simple. So deadly.

Got plenty of those as well!!
It was a serious epiphany when I found out how deadly hot spots are, regardless if its a PT, HE, or walts variation.
I initially steered away from them, thinking that it was a stocked fish thing, but lo and behold, wild fish go crazy for them too.

Another surprising thing to me is how the plain old orange thread collar out fishes my dubbed collars, its almost the opposite of buggy. Alot of fly tiers like buggy flies - me including - ie: picked out dubbing, guard hairs etc.. But there is just something about the streamlined flies that really produce, thread collared frenchies, perdigons etc..

I usually have a soft hackle on my tag, and alot of times a frenchie on the point, but when I need extra depth my go to tag fly is a 12 sexy walts, cant beat it!

Oh, another confidence fly for me is a walts worm - peeking caddis variaton.

Basically a sz 12 hook, with chartruese thread covering half way up the bend to the start of the shank. Then hares ear plus covering the shank just like a walts worm. Super easy and effective especially during grannoms and other cased caddis emergences

Interesting. My box has two rows of frenchies. I have been tying them with cdl tail and hen turkey tail feathers with a thread collar and dubbed hot spot. I need to try the thread only collar. I carry them but don't fish them as much as I should.

Sounds like I should add some sexy walts instead of tying up hares ears.

_YlnojHU8AiYdD-reMGy5t9ZKa-RYZNYFCaEmHuPJWfbBiphZw0cAYjVWA0PnlPeTTSnT1EssjMDuOvVxOGICFutw69PxMj7yHQY-b9I997dCzcQkT7sw3a-GQDIE6K630VdVPAo_mZCIxSwGbX9kTvXeQi3ghaxXGjDAkjanRqYlXfbwthQOSwAh8qSrcs3hLMbIUV5H_SjVXnb49w3EtW6om6tXQ_KpMLcSO-NmpUfajjZ8dd7kASYG5NovfSwC-6_Ti1r0Ic6FlgaHISkDMDDDUWkT4KHGcQ6rPwfl4aPW6il8lSanPGO1nYOLkOf15ekBTzS0dwIeGtnkp0FeDeHjE1X1WuCAwt3n8vza5fk4QKrcogGO4yhDH7XxWLPgTBQOnZ8b523P98RympWUwndd7sGGFdQM6d-H-3xt2PYjN_NgseE2mj2A2ug89wsl7G3k9uJNhKwUUijtiyX8mFMIpXG3oBeXYQcviIDiJ_XYgmCDhG-xeFIMAQQzNUlzUf0svY3c_TIuwZWxR8OSuGqhlh0jRmGiIX21k5iqwSpQw-jEouctYVD321r29xfbaGvw7oQwumLgfA5rMXHS31edysekBW4IXDIP9TaFHCjxsf8_cbshSHxrn-olYL8bCzRz4QFz5jpJZfHcYxUd5qRqtznJd0krklJI1oEFg=w611-h950-no

The frenchie is one of my top 3 confidence flies, especially when searching for fish. However I tie mine typically in a 14 or 16 with a fire orange thread collar and use pink ice dubbing as the my hot spot. I kill it with that pattern

Jlafko3 wrote:
The frenchie is one of my top 3 confidence flies, especially when searching for fish. However I tie mine typically in a 14 or 16 with a fire orange thread collar and use pink ice dubbing as the my hot spot. I kill it with that pattern

You tie your 14's with 3.0 beads?

I tie a 12 with 3.5 beads for heavy sections, here is a little preview of my 12's. This is less than a quarter of my overall frenchie selection though lol. Ill grab a picture of all of them when Im done with work..
dohiku_PT.jpg
[/url]
hosting photo
[/img]

I tie mine with the 3.2 tungsten beads on my 14s. I use the jig hooks so they're slotted beads. On my 16s I use the 3.0 countersunk tungesten beads. The more that I use the jig hooks, the more that I like them. If you haven't given em a try yet I highly recommend it.

These are two of mine that I tied up, I've actually found that the orange thread below the tail actually doesn't make a difference between catching/not catching fish

Attachments

• IMG_1723.jpg
    IMG_1723.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 4
I love the jig hooks, I tie with the dohiku 302 sp jig.
That one in your picture looks like a partridge? Im not a fan of the eye being parallel with the shank

Nice looking flies, guys. Frenchies almost always produce if you get them in the right level of the water column. Just a good all purpose "go to" nymph. Good stuff!

Just wanna say that my appreciation of the Frenchie grows every year. One of my top 3.

Back