Freezing guides and line

kelso2340

kelso2340

I was thinking about going to spring creek tomorrow. It's suppose to be a high of 25 degrees. This is my first year of winter fishing and I have been out when it's between 5-15 and it's pointless because the guides freeze and like become rope. Do you think this would happen at temps between 15-31? And if so, do you guys even try to fish of just hang out and relax for the day.

It will happen at any temp below 32. Not trying to be a wise guy there, it's just more a question of how fast it happens. Obviously the colder it is, the faster the guides and line freeze and the more often you have to de-ice them. Depends on your tolerance for de-icing frequency and how bad you want to fish I suppose.

My general experience is as long as its at least in the upper 20's the ice forming is a slow enough process that its still more fishing than de-icing. Once you hit the mid 20's and below the ice starts to win out and it gets frustrating.

Wind is a big factor for me in cold weather. If you have the time to get out tomorrow, give it go. At the very least you can check out the stream if it isn't much of a drive.

If you rub lip balm or chapstick on your guides it'll buy you a little time before they ice up. If you're false casting a lot your line will ice up anyway. I say fish. I love fishing in the cold.

If you're nymphing if you can high stick it most of the time and your guides will not freeze up as fast because you're not running a wet line through the guides constantly. But like said before, even doing that with enough wind it's only a matter of time before you're crunching ice out of the guides. Be careful getting the ice out, rods have been broken doing that. I fish regularly in the mid 20's go get em, they're hungry. :-D

dip rod in water and shake,shake,shake to remove water.

pete41 wrote:
dip rod in water and shake,shake,shake to remove water.

"shake shake shake - shake shake shake - shake your booty!"

"It's your duty"

I just pop off the ice bits from the eyelets. If you use lip balm and other petro products they break down the flyline quicker (I believe).

8 degrees is the lowest I've fished - poped off ice every other cast. Still caught 2 trout.

one thing you don't want to do-take an old flyrod and have spinning guides put on it.
The dummy that came up with that bright idea told me it really kills the action.
I talked to myself a lot that day.lol

He is what I do. When the temps are cold enough to make ice form in the guides, I stay home! :lol:

Well spring creek (state college) typically runs warmer in the winter than alot of other streams so the longer you keep your line in the water the better. Alot of false casting will freeze''m up quickly.

If it's windy yes, if not maybe. But if you stay in the sun your chances will be better for not having ice in the guides.
there is only one cure for icy guides and that is warm weather.

kelso2340 wrote:
I was thinking about going to spring creek tomorrow. It's suppose to be a high of 25 degrees. This is my first year of winter fishing and I have been out when it's between 5-15 and it's pointless because the guides freeze and like become rope. Do you think this would happen at temps between 15-31? And if so, do you guys even try to fish of just hang out and relax for the day.

I fished spring today, below the big spring, water temp was about 41 degrees, air about 25 at the warmest, winds 10-15mph.

I was making 30 foot, long drift suspender casts/drifts, and could do about 5-6 before deicing was needed.

I put my rod in the water and let the current flow over the guides for 10 seconds, and it was incredible how fast the ice completely disappeared, then resumed fishing...

Enjoy!

Roll cast nymphs or dries. Don't strip streamers. The more wet line that touches your guides, the more problems you have. Just roll cast the line you have out and strip in very minimally.

For the guides get some Stanley's Ice Off paste. Apply it to the guides the night before you go out and remove the excess in the morning. Unless you dunk your fly rod your guides should stay ice free for most of the day.

Given the fact dipping your rod in the water works so well, why would you spend money on something when your standing in a huge tub of de-icer?

Back