Freestone Tactics

C

chuckyblack09

I have the brookie thing down in freestone streams. I stay relatively stealthy and use really any food item.

My question is more directed toward freestone brown trout and bigger freestone streams. I try to stay stealthy just as I would with brook trout, but I just can't seem to catch browns in freestone streams, even ones with Class A populations of browns.

I seem to get overwhelmed with bigger freestone streams and usually notice a confidence drop while fishing them. I usually don't have confidence using nymphs on bigger water so I end up using a small streamer.

What are some go-to nymph patterns for freestone streams when fishing for browns? I know it's hard to say because freestone streams have a bigger variety of insects, but less of each type. How should I approach bigger water? Where do brown trout usually hold in freestone streams? Same places as brookies?

Any tips and/or experiences you guys can share would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I understand browns are a lot smarter and pickier with eating, but by now I feel like I should have caught at least one freestone brownie.

This is by no means an exhaustive list, but here is what immediately comes to mind.

Use a double nymph rig, maybe a pt and a hare's ear to search them out. Big stoneflies too. The biggest mistake a lot of guys make is not being deep enough. If you are nymphing or fishing a streamer and you are not snagging, you are not going to catch most days. Keep adding shot until your rig is moving slower than the current.

Unless they are actively rising, browns are going to avoid direct current. Try behind the toughest, ugliest blow downs and the slack water behind boulders, any pocket or depression that gives them shelter from the current. Also the seams of runs. Don't overlook the ones who may have their noses right in the base of a riffle or plunge (also out of the current despite the current running over their heads).

Divide a big creek into sections and don't let all that water psych you out. Every cast should be to a place you would expect to get bit. Otherwise, you are wasting your time.

chuckyblack09 wrote:
What are some go-to nymph patterns for freestone streams when fishing for browns?

Generally speaking, I like somewhat smaller, more natural looking nymphs for wild brown trout as oppossed to more colorful attractor patterns that brookies seem to like.

You can't go wrong with a stonefly nymph on mid to larger freestone streams for wild browns. They work year round.

Thanks for the great info! From what you said, it sounds like I have the places they would sit correct just not maybe getting it down deep enough or using the wrong nymphs. I need to stop overlooking the PT since it looks like just about any type of nymph in the water.

As for the bigger water, I'll try to think of that the next time. Just because there's so much water doesn't necessarily mean it all has to be fished. Just the suspected lies.

Generally speaking, I like somewhat smaller, more natural looking nymphs for wild brown trout as oppossed to more colorful attractor patterns that brookies seem to like. You can't go wrong with a stonefly nymph on mid to larger freestone streams for wild browns. They work year round.

Black stones and golden stones? What sizes? I'm going to post a picture of each of my 2 stonefly patterns for you to take a look at. Tell me if they look good enough. I've tried black stones a lot and never caught anything on them. I've caught brookies on my golden stones, but brookies usually take anything.

A great place to start every time is a dual rig with a pheasant tail and hares ear. The best advice I can give about big water is break it down into small sections and fish whats right in front of you. I found that even though the spot on the other side if the stream looks good I have to remember to look right at my feet. I've caught a lot of fish this year by fishing right in front or me before stepping in the water.

A great place to start every time is a dual rig with a pheasant tail and hares ear. The best advice I can give about big water is break it down into small sections and fish whats right in front of you. I found that even though the spot on the other side if the stream looks good I have to remember to look right at my feet. I've caught a lot of fish this year by fishing right in front or me before stepping in the water.

Now, when you say right in front of you, are you still being stealthy or do you find that on bigger water the trout are less spooky?

Stealth is still important. But what I am saying is break the water down and focus on what is within 10 feet or so of your rod tip. Don't be in a hurry to get to the next spot or out in the middle of the flow to reach that awesome looking lie when the fish may be right in front of you.

To illustrate this on one large stream I fished there was an awesome looking submerged logs and log jams on the other side of stream with a lot of pocket water between me and the log jam. Instead of charging out into the stream to fish the log jam I started casting and working the unexciting looking pocket water before I even got my feet wet. I fished my way to that log jam and managed something like 15 fish before my first cast into the log jam. Had I charged in and walked to the awesome looking lie I would have spooked all of those fish. I guess the point is don't over look whats right in front of you. Its much easier to get overwhelmed and overlook spots on bigger water versus small streams.

Another question: do you guys find it more effective to tightline or indicator nymph freestone streams?

Both types have their place. I usually reserve an indicator or dry-dropper for slow pools, but that's just my preference.

On Freestones, I often use dry dropper tactics focusing on current seams near the deeper runs and the pockets and swirls behind boulders mid stream. The dry dropper with and stimulator, elk hair caddis or foam body fly, dropped down to a tungsten bead or copper Jon style fly can be deadly on Freestones. It allows a more stealthy approach than indicator rigs and standard high stick approaches.

Obviously everyone has given good advice for reading the water and determining suspected lies of trout. They are right, don't let the big water intimidate you and approach it methodically. As for flies in fish a lot of generic looking patterns I tie up such as caddis larva, walt's worms, and PTL nymphs. I generally don't go too specific. I also don't use an indicator nor do I tightline nymph. I just kind of cast up or over, mend accordingly, and watch the tip of my fly line. Maybe I miss fish, but I land plenty that way to keep me happy. Just keep trying and you'll catch em.

chuckyblack09 wrote:
I have the brookie thing down in freestone streams. I stay relatively stealthy and use really any food item.

My question is more directed toward freestone brown trout and bigger freestone streams. I try to stay stealthy just as I would with brook trout, but I just can't seem to catch browns in freestone streams, even ones with Class A populations of browns.

I seem to get overwhelmed with bigger freestone streams and usually notice a confidence drop while fishing them. I usually don't have confidence using nymphs on bigger water so I end up using a small streamer.

What are some go-to nymph patterns for freestone streams when fishing for browns? I know it's hard to say because freestone streams have a bigger variety of insects, but less of each type. How should I approach bigger water? Where do brown trout usually hold in freestone streams? Same places as brookies?

Any tips and/or experiences you guys can share would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I understand browns are a lot smarter and pickier with eating, but by now I feel like I should have caught at least one freestone brownie.

It really depends on the stream and stream conditions on larger freestones. If no fish are rising (which is usually the case) try nymphing and picking apart all water types to locate fish.

High-sticking or tightlining should work well. Most FFers pin on a bobber and drift way over the fish. It's important to get your fly near the bottom and floss the rocks.

In skinny water, you may want to try a dry-dropper with a smaller nymph.

In non-hatch situations I will prospect around with a hares ear, pheasant tail nymph or maybe a stonefly nymph. My second fly would be a hatch matching fly that I believe is present at the time and maybe ready to hatch.

It's more about locating the fish and getting a good drift near the bottom if nothing is hatching. Fly choice is usually secondary because the fish are not keyed into any one insect.

During a hatch situation when fish are up and/or looking up, try a dry and/or dry dropper to cover the surface and the upper levels of the water.

Other things to try are swinging wets and swinging or stripping streamers. Both of the aforementioned techniques are great ways to cover a lot of water to find the fish.

The biggest reason many FFers go home empty is they are one-trick ponies. The only thing they change are their flies. Being able to fish top to bottom with different techniques and moving around to find fish is usually the formula for success.

Attachments

• one trick pony.jpg
    one trick pony.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 3
chuckyblack09 wrote:
Generally speaking, I like somewhat smaller, more natural looking nymphs for wild brown trout as oppossed to more colorful attractor patterns that brookies seem to like. You can't go wrong with a stonefly nymph on mid to larger freestone streams for wild browns. They work year round.

Black stones and golden stones? What sizes? I'm going to post a picture of each of my 2 stonefly patterns for you to take a look at. Tell me if they look good enough. I've tried black stones a lot and never caught anything on them. I've caught brookies on my golden stones, but brookies usually take anything.

Great looking flies. Yes, depending on the creek, both will work.

First off...I am a big fan of Florocarbon on VERY CLEAR freestone streams. It does give you a slight advantage over nylon. Also if you are nymphing get to the bottom especially if the water is cold. I will use a size 12 Hares ear and added weight to try and catch big browns. Getting a good drift is everything especially with dry flies especially if you are fishing for brown trout that have been in the stream for a long time.

Ron

The fishing for freestone browns will improve a lot in several weeks, when the water temps get up into the 50s.

I agree. It's still in the low 40s

chuckyblack09 wrote:
Black stones and golden stones? What sizes?

Use the golden stones.

This time of year, if little balck stones are hatching, by all means fish that fly.

However, the golden stones (which are mostly brown colored here in PA) are targeted by trout year round. I like my stonefly nymphs fairly large - say a body length, not counting tail , of about 3/4 of an inch. Hook size would be around #12.

I agree with Dave. You can never go wrong with having a stonefly on. Usually use them as my top fly most of the time and catch tons of fish on it

Thanks everyone for all the great tips!

I've used stoneflies before, but never had much luck. I think my problem has been the size I was tying them is just too large and un-natural looking.

I've tied some new patterns in #14s. Brown and black stones, photo link below, what do you guys think of the new size and pattern switch? I'm more confident already just looking at them.

http://imgur.com/a/Wet8Z

Back