Freelance Fishing?

greenghost

greenghost

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/idaho-is-paying-anglers-to-help-thin-out-south-fork-rainbow-trout/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=sendible&utm_term=faves&utm_campaign=faves&fbclid=IwAR0TuSlVU4nuoi37_y8rR_RzV35rBt7yhCv8iko3KYFjZJWvWt_7TrpJvr8

6,000 FISH PER MILE!!!!

I'm a little confused, why are there wired tags in their snout? If they are trying to control the population why would you stock or tag rainbows?

ryansheehan wrote:
I'm a little confused, why are there wired tags in their snout? If they are trying to control the population why would you stock or tag rainbows?

The way I understand it, they are trying to increase harvest by essentially turning the trout into lottery tickets. The tag is internal and not visible. Thus anglers need to keep and turn in all the trout heads before they can tell if they're a winner.

Interesting, thanks kev.

Elaborating just a bit on the previous reply --

The wires are micro sized and engraved with the prize amount. Most are nominal amounts (~$5). The wire tags are only detectable by passing a very sensitive instrument over the fishes snout.

IDFG catches and tags only a handful of rainbows (last time they did this I believe they tagged 100). If I remember correctly the odds of possessing a tagged trout is about 4% of trout caught. The odds of possessing the $1000 tag rainbow is about 0.04% of rainbows caught.

To participate you must clean and ice caught trout and deliver them to the IDFG drop sites. IDFG will test for tags. If you wish you may keep your fish or if not then IDFG will donate the fish to a food bank (hence cleaned and on ice).

The goal of the program is to move the catch & release rate from 97% (last time I read) to something much less.

All of above numbers are vague memory items -- please don't bet on them being absolutely correct.

Sorry, encouraging people with lottery winning is just wrong. Wrong. Don't know why, just flat out wrong.

Will tell you I really feel later. But, just wrong!

Has any of these species specific harvest encouragement efforts over wild trout ever actually achieved the desired result, regardless of the incentives offered?

I've never seen it happen, but maybe this will be different. I'm pretty skeptical, though.

well, I guess you have to try something before you can know if it works.

I wonder how many cutthroats meet their end as a result of this program?

A better article on the program, with a few more details...

I’m thinking we should have S Fork JAM.

Back