Free Camping in Potter County?

bbillings30

bbillings30

I'm thinking about camping in Potter County this weekend and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any campsites on State Forest land (or otherwise). It doesn't need any amenities (but a porta-potty closeby would be a plus), just an open space that I can pull up to and pitch a tent and make a campfire. Preferably this campsite would be along a trout stream, but there's so much water in Potter County that I'm sure a stream wouldn't be too far away. I know there has to be small primitive campsites all through those forests that aren't advertised, and I'm hoping you guys can help me out. If not, I suppose I'll have to pay the 50 bucks to pitch a tent at Lyman State Park... Thanks for your help!

I would suggest contacting individual state forests for their primitive camping maps. Each one has a few and they are pretty cheap and off the grid.

50 ?? colton state park and asaph are only 10.00 a night

If you get a permit, you can camp anywhere in state forest land and have a fire. Permit process is pretty straight forward. If you stay only one night with no fire, you can go pretty much wherever (just a few regs to follow here)

That is Susquehannock SF, there are burning bans right now, it would be good to contact the SF. The office is in Potato City. See the rules from DCNR copied below. There are more at the link posted in #5.

Primitive campers spending no more than 1 night at a campsite do not need a Camping Permit. However, a Camping Permit is required if:
1) you desire an emergency point-of-contact;
2) you stay at a campsite more than one night; 3) a campfire is desired during spring or fall fire seasons;
4) you camp using a vehicle for storage or transportation;
5) you are “group camping”; or,
6) you camp within the Pine Creek Gorge / Canyon in Tiadaghton or Tioga State Forests.

colton state park and asaph are only 10.00 a night

The website states that it's now $15.00 per night:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/staythenight/camping/index.htm

For the improved campground (Leonard Harrison SP), the price is $19.00 per night, but it's not as primitive a park as Colton Point SP (add $4.00 per night for modern showers).

Something strange with the reservations site though... when I booked my stay at Poe Paddy SP for the Jam, it charged me $59 for 3 nights. Going back and looking at the reservation site again, the prices are now shown as "from $21 per night". Seems that at some parks, pricing is "variable".

echuck66 wrote:
Something strange with the reservations site though... when I booked my stay at Poe Paddy SP for the Jam, it charged me $59 for 3 nights. Going back and looking at the reservation site again, the prices are now shown as "from $21 per night". Seems that at some parks, pricing is "variable".

Could be the nights you booked. If I remember correctly, weekends are more than week nights.

klingy wrote:
echuck66 wrote:

Could be the nights you booked. If I remember correctly, weekends are more than week nights.

The state's reservation is flaky, with respect to pricing. What they show you when you go to checkout ends up being higher than what you are actually charged. ReserveAmerica or whatever vendor they are using reservations recently upgraded (downgraded?, I don't find the changes user friendly at all) the online reservation system. Maybe they fixed the variable pricing issue. I rather liked getting a cabin listed for $52 for $34 plus tax.

Back