Forever Chemicals

R

riverwhy

Last edited:
Mainly attributed to Scotchguard.
Is this also in fly floatants?
No idea about the fly floatants but who’s going to keep eating the 7 million or so state stocked trout a year? I imagine a lot of people sadly. Wonder if PFBC will test PFAS levels in their hatchery trout intended for consumption?

PFAS, PFOS is a big issue no doubt, but this study has a very small sample size to make a broad statement for all freshwater fish in the country.... I will try to read the actual study.

PFAS, PFOS is a big issue no doubt, but this study has a very small sample size to make a broad statement for all freshwater fish in the country.... I will try to read the actual study.
Agree its a broad statement, thats why I was wondering about PFBC fish testing to see what their fish’s levels are like. Since many different ground water sources are used at the 15 PFBC hatcheries and the fish are stocked in different bodies of water and remain in them for different amounts of time there’s probably no way around not testing PFBC fish for the purpose of a PFAS/PFOS consumption advisory.

Usually every year there is a schedule in the Pa Fish regulations book about the safety of fish in Pennsylvania.

Yet the typical american diet is full of sugar, vegetable and seed oils, processed foods, preservatives and artificial dyes.

A meal or two of contaminated fish would probably be the healthiest meals they eat.

Not that pollution isnt a problem, but there are " bigger fish to fry"

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230119-191847.png
    Screenshot_20230119-191847.png
    628.8 KB · Views: 24
Mainly attributed to Scotchguard.
Is this also in fly floatants?
Random note off of this - The DEP just created a new ruling that set a maximum PFAS level for drinking water. This is a good first step, but they are everywhere - pretty sure around 90% of people in the US have PFAS traces in their bloodstream (someone correct me if I am wrong). I forget where the link is - but there is someone that lives right near Harrisburg on the Susky and has been taking water quality samples north/south of the city for years. If I remember correctly, the amount of PFAS and other chemicals south of Harrisburg is significantly higher than above (which is quite obvious). Wastewater and stormwater are difficult to manage, but PA does a pretty good job through stormwater permits, NPDES permits, etc. I think they could make more stringent maximum discharge values though for certain pollutants.

but they are everywhere - pretty sure around 90% of people in the US have PFAS traces in their bloodstream (someone correct me if I am wrong).
And polar bears, indigenous people in the northwest territories, whales, etc. etc. etc.

And polar bears, indigenous people in the northwest territories, whales, etc. etc. etc.
That’s pretty crazy how widespread they are. I would’ve assumed only those in areas with high industrial activity and urbanization would be exploded to it - but some of these chemicals are very bioavailable and can move over large distances, be passed up food chains through bio accumulation, etc.

What kind of impact will this have on our native fish like the brook trout?
Well, if demand for stocked trout collapses, maybe it ends up benefiting them.

No idea about the fly floatants but who’s going to keep eating the 7 million or so state stocked trout a year? I imagine a lot of people sadly. Wonder if PFBC will test PFAS levels in their hatchery trout intended for consumption?
What is your source for the amount of 7 million stocked state trout?

What is your source for the amount of 7 million stocked state trout?
i got crossed between these two documents. Its about 6 million now it used to be around 7-8 million in the 2009 cost report.
8A60A08F 06E8 4DC1 975D 3E82016C74FA

7A9EA467 18A7 40B5 9357 A72104D00040

Thank you for posting this thread.

Another reason for C&R ...... and another reason for a barbless mandate in Pa from the Commission.

Back