For You PM Guys

Festus

Festus

I got a pile of PMs about how to tie wonder wings. Best to cover it all in one shot. Hope this helps you folks out. Any questions I'll be glad to answer.

448_4b799f2c75d63.jpg

448_4b799f39770b0.jpg

448_4b799f4aa5940.jpg

448_4b799f650006b.jpg

448_4b799f714f9d2.jpg

448_4b799f8091b8e.jpg

448_4b799f91d6b6e.jpg

448_4b799fa40ee4a.jpg

448_4b799fb454279.jpg

448_4b799fc34e7ba.jpg

448_4b799fd2b8243.jpg

448_4b799fe0a29f7.jpg

448_4b799ff13f11c.jpg

448_4b799ffd85fa6.jpg

Thats very nice!

I just got done tying some flys, now I want to tie some with those wings!

Here is my first attempt at replicating your wonder wings. Thanks for sharing and although I have some minor adjustments on the proportion next time I think it turned out well.

Critiques Welcome!

Attachments

• ww1.jpg
    ww1.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 4
  • ww2.jpg
    ww2.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 4
Looks good to me LL. A little hard to tell from the little photo though. But I think they look great.

Here's another tip....when sizing up wing length, it's better to pull them to far rather then to short. Finish the fly with the long wings, then after hackling, you can squeeze both wings together between your thumb and index finger and make a trim for wing length, then pick out the stray fibers with tweezers.

Carry on! Be creative and post those photos all!:)

:-o Sweet fly Festus! Thanks for sharing

Sweet fly Festus! Thanks for sharing

Thanks Sal. My reward here, is watching others creativity being piqued and that creativity blossoming into a divine work of art while employing feathers and steel. The thanks goes to you all!:)

Festus, if those are your original photos, you should consider a copyright notice unless you don't mind people copying and pasting those series of photos, as well done and narrated as they are, into another webpage.

What happens in these open forums is on a stage open to nearly all the world.

Great tie and demonstration.

In these two, I am confused because the pulled back fibers seemed to be held in the hand that was near the eye, thus:

448_4b799f8091b8e.jpg

Whereas, in the next, aren't the fibers toward the bend of the hook?

448_4b799f91d6b6e.jpg

The confusion seems to a result of a violation of the 180 degree rule (for you film majors).

Festus, if those are your original photos, you should consider a copyright notice unless you don't mind people copying and pasting those series of photos, as well done and narrated as they are, into another webpage.

Thanks Jack. If the digital watermarking works, I'll know where they end up:)

These are my original photos, taken specifically to help out the good folks on this board. But the way I look at it, if someone wants to copy these photos and paste them as their own anywhere on the WWW, then so be it. I hope the act makes their phony arses proud. Tracking down phonies is a hobby of mine.;-)

But....as long as the act helps one single fly tyer accomplish a new level of tying enjoyment, then I reckon it's an even trade off."-).

In these two, I am confused because the pulled back fibers seemed to be held in the hand that was near the eye, thus:

Yes. I neglected to post the switchover to the other hand. I ran out of hands to snap the picture. There's also a position of the hands and fingers for establishing wing length that I neglected to post. I'll get those pictures up tomorrow as long as Ms Kitty feels like snapping a few pictures. It's tough to do with both hands on the vise:)

Ms Kitty's in a good mood tonight and snapped a few pictures. That danged Jovan Musk foofoo lotion works every time:)

Attachments

• ww1k.jpg
    ww1k.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 3
One of our guys asked in a PM about how to keep the fibers from spinning around the hook shank and keeping them on top of the hook shank. This can be accomplished by the same method as used above, except that the feather is pulled straight up before pulling it forward.

Attachments

• ww1l.jpg
    ww1l.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 4
We have something in common. Badly teeth-trimmed fingernails and choppy, cracked fingertips. Digital watermark or not, without a copyright notice, anyone can use the photos with impunity until ownership is acknowledged and rights reserved. 'Tis better to act in defense to prevent harm than to try to mend it or retaliate once it is done.

Yea those danged cracked thumbs started back when I was a cement mason. They'd dry up every winter and still do.

After consulting with Jack, being the skinflint that I am, I've decided that ya cain't go wrong with free legal advice. I hope I have them sequesnce right:)

Attachments

• ww1a.jpg
    ww1a.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 2
  • ww1b.jpg
    ww1b.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 4
  • ww1c.jpg
    ww1c.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 3
  • ww1d.jpg
    ww1d.jpg