For Those Who May Remember...Tom Greenlee

R

RLeep2

Tom Greenlee, the long time owner of the Forest County Sports Center (from 1972 until he retired and sold it in the mid to late 90's) passed away this past week at his home in Virginia. I am unsure of his age, probably around 80 or so.

During my Bohemian period in the 90's, I worked for Tom at the shop which was a full line Orvis dealer. With the exception of my Dad, he was as fine a man as I've ever known. He was warm, kind and always there for pretty much everybody and he did all of it without needing to be noticed or recognized. Ask the folks of Tionesta while Tom was mayor when the Memorial Day weekend tornado of 1985 set its crosshairs on their town.

Tom served 3 tours of active duty in Vietnam as a helicopter gunship pilot. He earned a bushel basket of decorations for his service. He eventually succumbed to the effects of Agent Orange exposure from his time in Vietnam. I spent a lot of time talking to him when we worked together and I knew he was in Vietnam and that he had been a pilot. But I never knew any of the rest of it about the medals and the Agent Orange. This was Tom. It was rare to hear him complain and even more rare to hear him blow his own horn although he had every right to do both.

The world is a lesser place without Tom Greenlee and I am privileged to have known him and call him friend.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/postgazette/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=184550204

Sorry to hear that, Bob. I didn't know him personally, but knew of him.

He was certainly missed when he sold the store, and now he is gone. May he rest in peace.

Sorry for your (our) loss.
Tom sounds like someone we all would be better for knowing: a genuine patriot and completely decent and loyal man.

(Rleep: If it is okay with you, I'd like to move this to the General forum with a small edit to the title line indicating it is Tom's obituary. Due to his connection to outdoor sports, I'd guess other FFers would wish to see this who may not visit the OTW forum. Thanks, DW)

Moving the post would certainly be fine with me, Dave...

The Forest Count sports Center is etched in my mind from days there as a child in the late 70's and early 80's. I was amazed at the fly rods in the vertical rack at the back by the Pendelton room. My mom would get a skirt or sweater there or slippers at the post-christmas sale. I would wonder how there could be such amazing tackle. He showed me Valentine fly reels. Who even knows about them now? The USGS maps downstairs were a chart of outdoor possibility. The mounted elk head up at the front looks as big as an elephant to young eyes. The only place I saw Filson for 25 years. I dreamed it would have classic firearms. Nothing new. A-5's, Fox's, winchester 12's and Ithaca 37's. And the old Ithaca SKB 500 O/U and Citori's for the more 'modern' sport. Model 70's and 700's. Savage 99's in 300 and 250-3000 ONLY. Asking for calibers like 257 roberts and 7X57 wouldn't earn you a strange glance, like "what?". But that's just fantasy. I never saw that.
Tom had an amazing place. The smell. The creak of the floor boards. the sound of the door opening and closing. I even remember how lightly the thumb tab actuated.

I would like to be granted a pass back to there for just a moment on my way to Valhalla.

He was a very nice man - really help me out when i was just getting started fishing. Great Shop. I have a very nice rod rack from his shop in my office.

Thanks for posting. I knew Tom very well after spending many years in that area at my camp and even before. I lost track of him when he sold the store, but it always will be Tom's store to me.

Rest in peace my friend!!

A fine tribute to a great outdoorsman. I also miss that store and it was never quite the same without Tom. Bought my first "good" fly rod there. The store looks the same from the outside and has not been able to find a storefront tenant for many many years now.

Back