? for action camera users

K

kbobb

Hi folks,
Thinking about getting an action camera to document some of my upcoming fishing adventures.
for those of you who use these kind of cameras, where and how do you attach them to yourself while fishing? do they get in the way? is it secure/won't fall in the drink?

thanks for any advice!

I would only use a camera that was in a waterproof housing. You don't want to temp fate. The chances that the camera would get dunk in the water are pretty high.

Plenty of low cost GoPro knock offs on Amazon.
Some waterproof and others with waterproof housings.
If you go with a WP housing check reviews on the mic performance.
Some people add a wireless mic.
I prefer a shoulder mount on my fishing vest. (Collarbone area.)
Mounted on off casting side.
Some people go with head mounts.
Some with the X style chest mount harness.
There are packs of all kinds of mounting accessories available on Amazon at low cost. With these you can experience types for your preference.

My guess is that some of the popular fishing YTers have a segment on cameras and mounts.

I have an olympus tg5. Waterproof, drop proof, lots of features and the options for quality still / macro still pics. It does have body mount possiblity. It's a little pricey but versitle.

thanks folks,
i have an old olympus tough - TG 830 that i was fooling with today but it takes 2 hands to film with and that makes it hard to bring in fish or actually record the fishing part. was looking at a go pro copy and tabascos suggestion of a shoulder mount looked interesting - they also make a mount that attaches to a backpack strap and i suppose it will work on a wader strap or somehow attach to a vest or sling pack strap.

Kray - do you attach your TG to a vest or anything and how do you use it to film yourself? or do you film others?

thanks again

My face would probably ruin the camera. I use it for scenery, photos of others, video, etc. They make a mount....

https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/tough-sport-holder-csch-123-light-blue.html?___store=us_en&gclid=Cj0KCQjw38-DBhDpARIsADJ3kjnp_NyAgF7gsZ8_KctKxZw2Ln9pJI98wQy4c7HeQRmStiW0cB2HJnIaAiPYEALw_wcB

Back