Fools Paradise

R

rrt

I just finished John Gierach's new book, Fools Paradise. It is typical Gierach--quite an enjoyable read, and I wish I'd saved it for now, since we're going to have floods and no fly-fishing for a while. Anyhow, if you're a Gierach fan (who isn't?), you'll like his new book, even if you have read some of the stuff in it in FR&R.

Nice. I didn't know he wrote a new one.

I might grab a copy before the Jam, just in case it is a wash out. If not, I'll definitely get one before I head to the beach in June.

Thanks for the review.

I also picked this one up. Got mine at Barnes & Noble for under $20. They are selling the hardback at a 20% off special for Father's Day.

I haven't finished it yet, but it's been good so far.

JH

Someone bought Fools Paradise that I had been reading for awhile at the South Hills Village store. Drat! I was only halfway though.

Only one Fools Paradise! They had 2 copies of Good Flies- my least favorite.

Good flies was a huge disappointment.

(Doing acristic a favor. he hates his name staying up as the last post for the next three weeks)

I'm reading his "best of" book, Death, Taxes and Leaky Waders. I found it in the library. I don't recommend checking Gierach out from the library. You want to buy his books, and leave them in the back seat of your car. Read him in little snatches here and there. Rushing through the book on a deadline is not good. I feel that when I read two stories back to back, I've read one story twice. That's not to say I don't like his writing. It's just that he's got such a defined style that it starts sounding like more of the same. I'm even harder on Nick Lyons, who's also great but deadly in large doses.

Pad,

I used to read his books cover to cover, but after I became used to his style (after "Trout Bum"), I've found the same. Great to keep by the crapper, in the glove box, or on the night stand.

He is easily my favorite outdoor author, and one of my favorite writers in general, so not to take anything from him.

It is all the same, but I still laugh every time I read it.

Back