Folstaff holster

sgrim

sgrim

I've used a Folstaff for a few years and while I really like the staff itself, the holster that comes with it is designed with a fixed loop that doesn't really fit on my wading belt all that well and is kind of a PIA to slide on & off. Before I cobble together a snap-on solution and alter this thing forever, is anyone aware of an alternative commercial holster that would (a) work for a 50" Folstaff and (b) have either snaps, velcro, or clips instead of a fixed loop?

About 2000 years ago, I fabricated one out of leather with a much wider belt loop for that very reason.

In the intervening 1999 years, I never really found anything suitable except something I am currently using with one of my set-ups:

https://condoroutdoor.com/191045-water-bottle-pouch.html

It’s not as sexy, but it fits the Folstaf perfectly, you can fold the flap inside of the pouch if desired and you can adjust the opening & retention with the shock cord drawstring.

I did find the shock cord drawstring a LITTLE too tight for my liking so I replaced it with a longer length piece of shock cord so I could open it up wider. That makes extracting or putting the Folstaf back much easier.

It just so happens the set-up I use it with is designed to utilize the PALS/MOLLE attachment system, but the pouch comes with long MOLLE straps & PALS webbing so it would be easy to have it on a regular belt without much slop.

There are also MOLLE belt loop adapters out there if you want even more flexibility. I use this one with one of my pouches on a regular belt.

Good luck in your search!

Thanks! That looks perfect!

Get one of these. It's cheap and indestructible and fits on any belt. Plus they're mesh so water drains right out. The guy will make it to whatever dimensions you want - mine is 4.5" x 8.0" and it's perfect for my folstaff, easy in and easy out.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/581903496/koolbak-collapsible-wading-staff-holster?ref=shop_home_active_6&crt=1

That guy makes some nice stuff!!

I'd consider one myself but the belt I use my pouch on is MOLLE/PALS and I like that system because things stay put and don't flop around.

However for a regular wading belt, that is perfect!!

How is the coating on the mesh holding up?

In the past on stuff I have owned with PVC coated mesh, the coating starts to wear off in spots exposing the Nylon mesh.

Good answers... I was just going to suggest getting a big enough carabiner and just hanging your existing holster from that.

Now, I'd be embarrassed to suggest such a thing...:)

It's holding up great. It's as good now as when I bought it a year or two ago. Like I said, it seems pretty indestructible.

Clams:

I know you know this already, but you'll get MANY more years of life out of the shock cords in your Folstaf if you DON'T store it between fishing trips folded up in that nice pouch you have.

It's a pain, but I store mine fully extended (as recommended by Folstaf) when not fishing and NEVER for long term in the trunk.

Thanks for the Koolbak link and info!

Back