Fold-up net

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
I hate walking around with a net and getting it tangled in the bushes in smaller waters, so I usually only carry a net when FFing bigger streams and rivers like the Upper D, Penns or the Lehigh. Last week I latched on to a 2 foot long rainbow in a smaller stocked stream that looked more like a steelhead, and had a heck of a time landing it, so i decided to try a fold-up net to carry with me in smaller streams.

The FFer in a video I posted a while back was using a fold-up net and another PAFF member posted where they are sold, so I checked them out. The company has been making them for years plus they are manufactured in PA. I ordered one and received it this week. I chose the fish-friendly ghost net made of rubber, which features a leather pouch, teak wood handle and stainless steel hoop. Plus flies don't get embedded the ghost net material so it was my choice.

The full sized net folds up easily and stows away into the leather pouch attached to my wading belt. Pretty slick. Below is a link to the Handy-Pak site. They sell many different models with various net options, handles and sizes.

Check them out here > https://www.handypaknetco.com/

I am sort of a folding net junkie…

Handi-Pak created and patented that type of folding net and as you mentioned, they are a Pennsylvania company with the first nets coming out of Shamokin. About 10 years ago, they were still making a varnished wood handled version with the old green & yellow keystone decal that are identical to the old Shamokin nets. I grabbed one as a keepsake as it is very cool.

I would imagine a ghost bag is a bit bulky in the pouch and tougher to fold back-up?

All good things get copied or stolen. McLean Nets of New Zealand that is the pinnacle of folding net manufacturers has their version called the Spring Foldable Weigh Net with a built in scale. I have one. It has a superior pouch, and I like their version better.

If you want to REALLY want go upscale with the spring net idea, Kineya Reel Company of Japan has their gorgeous and EXPENSIVE Spring Hoop Nets with hand crafted rattan handles & leather pouches.

IMHO – Two of the nicest folding nets ever made were the long discontinued Orvis North Fork Net that was made of stainless steel, spring loaded and deployed with the flick of the wrist. It folded up almost as small as a Handi-Pak but didn’t come with a scabbard or pouch. I’ve have a few and have been using my original since the 1980’s with an improvised carrying pouch.

The other great folding net was made by McLean for Orvis back in the 1990’s/early 2000’s and sold as the Orvis Folding Net or Orvis Collapsible Net. It is a small trout-sized version of their Tri-Folding nets. It folds up very small & narrow but didn’t some with a scabbard although it is easy enough to fabricate something that works just fine. I also have a few of those in my collection.

Neither the North Fork or the Orvis Folding Net made by McLean came with Ghost, micro-mesh or rubberized bag options, but the existing bags can be replaced if desired. I use a net so infrequently (I can’t remember the last time) that I really don’t fret over the bag, but that’s me.

FWIW - The North Fork & the McLean Orvis Folding Net come up occasionally on eBay if you or anyone else are interested.

Bamboozle wrote:
I am sort of a folding net junkie…

Handi-Pak created and patented that type of folding net and as you mentioned, they are a Pennsylvania company with the first nets coming out of Shamokin. About 10 years ago, they were still making a varnished wood handled version with the old green & yellow keystone decal that are identical to the old Shamokin nets. I grabbed one as a keepsake as it is very cool.

I would imagine a ghost bag is a bit bulky in the pouch and tougher to fold back-up?

All good things get copied or stolen. McLean Nets of New Zealand that is the pinnacle of folding net manufacturers has their version called the Spring Foldable Weigh Net with a built in scale. I have one. It has a superior pouch, and I like their version better.

If you want to REALLY want go upscale with the spring net idea, Kineya Reel Company of Japan has their gorgeous and EXPENSIVE Spring Hoop Nets with hand crafted rattan handles & leather pouches.

IMHO – Two of the nicest folding nets ever made were the long discontinued Orvis North Fork Net that was made of stainless steel, spring loaded and deployed with the flick of the wrist. It folded up almost as small as a Handi-Pak but didn’t come with a scabbard or pouch. I’ve have a few and have been using my original since the 1980’s with an improvised carrying pouch.

The other great folding net was made by McLean for Orvis back in the 1990’s/early 2000’s and sold as the Orvis Folding Net or Orvis Collapsible Net. It is a small trout-sized version of their Tri-Folding nets. It folds up very small & narrow but didn’t some with a scabbard although it is easy enough to fabricate something that works just fine. I also have a few of those in my collection.

Neither the North Fork or the Orvis Folding Net made by McLean came with Ghost, micro-mesh or rubberized bag options, but the existing bags can be replaced if desired. I use a net so infrequently (I can’t remember the last time) that I really don’t fret over the bag, but that’s me.

FWIW - The North Fork & the McLean Orvis Folding Net come up occasionally on eBay if you or anyone else are interested.

Good info Bamboozle.

The ghost net pouch/sheath is a little larger than the cloth net one and it fits in very easily.

Afish/Bam, thanks for this. I’ve been considering one for awhile. May just pull the trigger this time.

BTW - If you are ever in the market for a long handled folding net, McLean makes several options in their Folding Tri-Net line that come with a scabbard and are excellent.

That type of net is I use at places where I fish from the bank (like the Letort & Big Springs) where I don’t want to reach or kneel all the way down to the water to net a fish. Unfortunately their newest options are a bit larger than some of their older nets, but the quality is excellent.

There was also a company called Solvkroken that made an aluminum folding-telescoping net made in Norway. They came in different sizes and are a bit smaller, but didn’t come with a scabbard. That was the first long handled folding net I owned and I still use them. To make my life easier, I had scabbards fabricated for them by the same company that made the scabbards for McLean.

Unfortunately, Solvkroken is out of business but their nets may be out there on eBay.

Back